How much Valbazen do you use for each hen to worm them?

Dawg53 - I read the dosage amount for Valbazen, but I haven't found anywhere if it's just a one-time dose, or if it's repeated for so many consecutive days. Is it to be repeated in 10 days? I had read directions somewhere that it is to be given for 5 consecutive days, then not repeated until three months later. I'm about to give a third day. Is this right or not?

Dawg53 - I read the dosage amount for Valbazen, but I haven't found anywhere if it's just a one-time dose, or if it's repeated for so many consecutive days. Is it to be repeated in 10 days? I had read directions somewhere that it is to be given for 5 consecutive days, then not repeated until three months later. I'm about to give a third day. Is this right or not?
If you're not dealing with tapeworms, stop dosing them now and reworm them in 10 days (only once.)

I used safeguard and the dosage I used was a 1/2 cc for an average sized hen. I was to scared to put it in with a syringe so I took a tiny, tiny square of bread and soaked it with a dose and each one gobbled it up! I made sure to separate them and make sure no one got double dosed. Then I did it one more time 10 days later and I haven't seen anymore worms. I had found a couple of round worms in their poo, I didn't have a terrible infestation to begin with. But haven't seen anything more since I did it. I'm also throwing away the eggs for a month to be safe but I don't even think you need to go that long.

I used safeguard and the dosage I used was a 1/2 cc for an average sized hen. I was to scared to put it in with a syringe so I took a tiny, tiny square of bread and soaked it with a dose and each one gobbled it up! I made sure to separate them and make sure no one got double dosed. Then I did it one more time 10 days later and I haven't seen anymore worms. I had found a couple of round worms in their poo, I didn't have a terrible infestation to begin with. But haven't seen anything more since I did it. I'm also throwing away the eggs for a month to be safe but I don't even think you need to go that long.
Safeguard is a very good wormer, I use it in rotation with valbazen. No need to toss eggs for a month, 14 days after the last worming should be good enough.

Thank you! You're the guy that gave me advice when I first asked about worming anyways!! My chickens are doing good. Haven't seen a worm after my original sighting!!

Next we're going to dust them. The only thing we could find is prozap, garden and poultry dust. it has 0.25 permethrin in it.

I'm trying to figure out the best way of applying it. Also, how often and how long do i toss eggs after dusting?

Instead of tossing the eggs, could we give them to a broody hen or would that be a stupid thing to do?

Thank you! You're the guy that gave me advice when I first asked about worming anyways!! My chickens are doing good. Haven't seen a worm after my original sighting!!

Next we're going to dust them. The only thing we could find is prozap, garden and poultry dust. it has 0.25 permethrin in it.

I'm trying to figure out the best way of applying it. Also, how often and how long do i toss eggs after dusting?

Instead of tossing the eggs, could we give them to a broody hen or would that be a stupid thing to do?
I've never seen a withdrawal period for permethrin. Sevin dust has a 7 day withdrawal period. We've used it for years in vegetable gardens and I've used it on my chickens and have eaten eggs after using it...still alive and typing.
I put a bird in a paper bag or pillow case containing sevin dust with its head sticking out the top holding it by the neck. Then "shake and bake." I then let the chicken out, she shakes herself off and goes about her business and I grab another chicken and repeat dusting. Then I put a small pile of sevin dust in front of the hen house entrance and hit it full blast with the leaf blower. It looks like a smoke bomb went off inside their house. The dust gets in every corner, cracks, and nest boxes. Make sure chickens arnt in their house if you do this, wear old chicken clothes, shoes, and mask when dusting birds and coops. This should work with prozap poultry dust as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom