How much work are chickens

Quote: I agree! I got mine this spring. I was fully prepared for the responsibility. I'm very fortunate to be able to be a stay at home homeschooling momma though so I have time. Right now I have 11 chickens (10 hens and a roo). I'm always doing something with them. Between watering, feeding, cleaning the coop, spending time with them, etc. I built my own coop and exercise yard too, so that took quite a bit of time, and then today I had to build a small "coop" for the younger chickens so they could finally transition outside. All of mine were "day old" chicks when I got them, and that required a lot of time too.

I handled mine a lot more when they were chicks than I do now. They really prefer to have their own space, and my roo who loved to be held just wants his space now too. Sometimes they'll come up for "pets" and they love treats, but they don't do as much hand feeding as they did when they were smaller.

RonP, I need to send you a PM and open a dialog...

I'm always looking for ways to make things easier, to better automate the system as well. My wife and I have kind of given up on taking any kind of vacation because of the critters, but there may be hope after all.

If you desire to handle them like pets, then I doubt you'll find any of the work involved to be a problem because you'll enjoy spending time with them. 20 birds may be a lot to start off with though, as that will require a large coop and lots of poo removal.

An auto door is the most helpful suggestion I can give. You should be able to go a few days without even going outside if the auto door closes them up for you.

I have found that it takes as much time as I wish to invest in my birds. I enjoy it so it is not a chore, it takes a lot more time if it is a chore for you. Keep your flock a manageable size and work your way up. You can always add as you go, and you may have a change of favorite breeds and not be locked in to your start up flock. There is time… take the time to grow into it.

Best to you and your new flock,

RJ

This is Henny Penny, an OEGB BBRed hen. She likes to be held.

I completely agree with RJ. Start small & work your way up. Whats the hurry to jump right into the deep end? You said you are working & in school... Try a few & see if they fit into your lifestyle. This is a long, messy, loud commitment that you (or a fussy neighbor) might not be as ready for as you think. Do you know who will take care of them when you're on vacation, or what you'll do when some of them turn out to be roosters, or get sick? I'm not trying to discourage you from getting any, just encouraging you to start small & judge for yourself what a realistic future goal will be.

Back
Top Bottom