How Necessary is a Ramp? Any Alternatives?

I haven't read the whole thread but thought I'd put in my .02 (and that's probably what it's worth.

When we started out we had the typical ramp. I noticed that the birds were often sliding on it an ended up jumping off.

It took me awhile to figure out that it was causing bumblefoot due to the sliding.

We had a lot of old logs on the property, so I made log steps instead. They hop right up and down. Even the tiny chicks were able to use the log steps with ease. I also use them in the house in front of the roosts as a step to hop up or down on. They also make great places to just hang out on placed here and there.

After we changed to the logs - no more bumblefoot!

IMG_7669.JPG

That seems like exactly what I want to do!
Only I want to eliminate the ramp entirely. My coop is lower than yours so hoping the jump won't be too tiresome for the birds over time. I see a cinder block at the base of your ramp, so that might work as a perfect step up.

My current setup (saggy ramps)
View attachment 1847340 View attachment 1847341 View attachment 1847342

This is what I'm thinking for both sides:
View attachment 1847365
I want to make one of those 5 gal. no waste feeders (terrible drawing) and one more bucket-nipple waterer.
But if I put a cinder block step in front, it'll block one of the feeder openings.
Maybe could do without the step? Or a feeder opening?
Or re-attach the ramp like you did... but that would make an awkward triangle space...
maybe I'm overthinking!

** side topic!**
How are you posting your pics?
Curious because when most people upload from their device (including me) and someone quotes the post, the pic doesn't show up in the quote box like yours does. It looks like this: View attachment 1846933 darn "attach" words!
What about just making the 'porch' run further to the left of the door so the feeder can still fit under there. Put the block to the left end and give them some runway. May interfere with the left - storage?- door but since it wouldn't be very deep perhaps not too much.

I have a raised coop and currently have ramps up to the pop doors. My birds don't even use the full length, they just hop up halfway from the side or fly out when they leave, so it seems like a bit of wasted space in my narrow runs. I removed the ramp entirely once, but then they didn't know what to do. I think the pop opening is too small for them to comfortably fly into.

I know I've seen other ideas here... I just can't find them now.
Pictures would be much appreciated!
I have two ramps in my coop and my chickens ignore them and fly up and down from the roost sometimes using other objects in the coop.

Our pop door is pretty low. They walk out onto a retaining wall block and then onto the ground in their run.
However, our lowest roost is about 3.5ft high off the coop floor. Our birds fly right up to it and back down. They key is soft bedding for the landing. We use pine shavings. This would not work so well outside unless they are coming down onto a few inches of sand - dirt gets really hard when it dries.
A ladder could work instead of a ramp. Also, some sort of steps. @Leahs Mom I love the log steps! Boulders could work too if you have any. You could build a tiny chicken staircase. I'd love to see a chicken elevator!

I have a raised coop and currently have ramps up to the pop doors. My birds don't even use the full length, they just hop up halfway from the side or fly out when they leave, so it seems like a bit of wasted space in my narrow runs. I removed the ramp entirely once, but then they didn't know what to do. I think the pop opening is too small for them to comfortably fly into.

I used cinder blocks to make a landing pad and steps

Could you just turn the ramp to run against the outside of the coop up to a little landing outside the pop door? This way it wouldn't stick out so far from the coop.

I haven't read the whole thread but thought I'd put in my .02 (and that's probably what it's worth.

When we started out we had the typical ramp. I noticed that the birds were often sliding on it an ended up jumping off.

It took me awhile to figure out that it was causing bumblefoot due to the sliding.

We had a lot of old logs on the property, so I made log steps instead. They hop right up and down. Even the tiny chicks were able to use the log steps with ease. I also use them in the house in front of the roosts as a step to hop up or down on. They also make great places to just hang out on placed here and there.

After we changed to the logs - no more bumblefoot!

View attachment 1848297

We had a girl break her leg last fall. She was hobbling by the coop and we couldn't figure it out. Maybe she slid off the ramp and landed wrong. This thread has me leaning towards steps/landing when we renovate this summer.

Back
Top Bottom