How serious? Please help!

ladymommabrahma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Kentucky
We recently got two more hens because our crazy rooster was breaking down our two hens pretty bad, to the point head feathers and back feathers were beginning to "disappear". A few minutes ago we went outside and one of our hens (not the new one) was bleeding pretty bad so we picked her up and....

The liquid is from where we rinsed it with water. We had originally just put quick stop (the orange/yellow stuff) on it till we decided to wash it with soap and water and then put neosporin on it. Should we take her to the vet for antibiotics along with anything else or continue to wash daily?

Please let me know! Thanks

That looks rather serious to me. It looks like one of the birds pecked at her vent, or it could have prolapsed slightly (or it could have prolapsed and the other chickens pecked at it...) It might be a good idea to get rid of that agressive rooster.

Here's what I would do: I would bathe the lower half of her in warm water (95 degrees) every day (if not twice a day). If the vent is slightly prolapsed, this would help her heal. I would also put some honey and some Witch Hazel on to help reduce the swelling. Continue applying the neosporin, too.

If you don't see any improvement, or if you notice signs of infection, you should take her to the vet, if you can. Otherwise, start her on antibiotics yourself. Oxytetracycline would probably be a good choice.

Post more pictures maybe tomorrow so that I can see how she's doing.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, roosters can be very brutal. I would suggest separating them, especially if you aren't breeding your hens! Also, you should most certainly separate this hen from the rest for awhile as the others will only make this worse. I hope all goes well, good luck

That looks rather serious to me. It looks like one of the birds pecked at her vent, or it could have prolapsed slightly (or it could have prolapsed and the other chickens pecked at it...) It might be a good idea to get rid of that agressive rooster.

Here's what I would do: I would bathe the lower half of her in warm water (95 degrees) every day (if not twice a day). If the vent is slightly prolapsed, this would help her heal. I would also put some honey and some Witch Hazel on to help reduce the swelling. Continue applying the neosporin, too.

If you don't see any improvement, or if you notice signs of infection, you should take her to the vet, if you can. Otherwise, start her on antibiotics yourself. Oxytetracycline would probably be a good choice.

Post more pictures maybe tomorrow so that I can see how she's doing.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the help but the wound is on her shoulder (sorry I forgot that information). We are going to get antibiotics tomorrow. Thanks!

Unfortunately, roosters can be very brutal. I would suggest separating them, especially if you aren't breeding your hens! Also, you should most certainly separate this hen from the rest for awhile as the others will only make this worse. I hope all goes well, good luck
We only let the hens hatch out eggs in the spring, if that counts as breeding. We will definitely do something about keeping her away from him for awhile! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom