One gallon waterer
Bedding
Dumor chick starter / grower

Ducklings
Homemade waterer
Pint size feeder
Bedding
Dumor starter and grower

this is my list for 4 ducklings and 6 chicks. Am i missing anything?

Your list looks good. Don't forget a brooder lamp if you don't have one. I'd probably not get the pint feeder for the ducks as they will outgrow it FAST. I used dog bowls. Cheap and they don't tip over. Probably a puppy or kitten one at first or just a flat, low container.

For me, the $ store is my friend when it comes to ducklings. They have multipe size food storage containers, dog bowls, colored zip ties (for ID) etc, etc.

Good luck. Do read up a bit on their brooding needs. I think they take a little more work at first. For me, chicks would always eat really quickly. Ducklings, not always.

Oh and maybe pick up the save a chick they have, its an electrolyte supplement. Usually keeps for a while if you don't use it but better safe than sorry.

Get some brewers yeast or niacin for the ducklings too.

I plan to use this or something very similar should I ever brood ducklings again. We never had an odor problem, but I had close to a full time job cleaning up the brooder. It was worth it, by the way.
love.gif

But now I have a much better idea of the alternatives to the labor-intensive method.
roll.png

List looks good - definitely don't forget the niacin! VERY important for the ducks.

Also, when chicks and ducks are very young, they tend to eat the bedding, so for the first week or two, I used paper towels and then switched to a bedding once they figured out what their food was.

Lastly, I made a waterer for the ducks out of a milk jug as they got a little older. I thought I was a genius until I realized that many others had already figured this out.
smile.png
I put it in one day when they were still somewhat small and one of them jumped in and went swimming in it but it works GREAT once they can't fit in there!
lau.gif
I made too big of a hole.
idunno.gif

Basically you just cut a hole on one side, a little above the middle of the jug. Make it big enough for them to put their heads in and dunk their entire head down into the water. This keeps the brooder dry and still provides the water they need. I wrapped around the hole with some packing tape just to be sure there were no sharp edges. I used this until it was time to go outside at which time they switched to big rubber bowls.

Back
Top Bottom