how to care for ducklings

I am raising ducklings for the first time. I have them in with the chicks. They are all eatting unmedicated chick starter 20% from Tractor Supply. I am not new to raising chickens but I am to ducks. I keep hearing about Niacin for ducks. What is the importance of Niacin? If the ducklings seem to be doing well, healthy, and active 12 day olds would they need it?

I have another question or questions. I want my ducklings to end up being people friendly adult ducks that like sitting in your lap or being held. I have them in a coop with the baby chicks. It is adjacent to my adult hens. They can all see each other because chicken wire is the separating wall between the coops. I spend several hours a day sitting in there with them and chirping and sweet talking to them. The baby chicks climb on my legs but the ducks have only come up to nibble on my pant legs and toes when I wear sandals. I try to hold them but they flip out worse than I am used to with the baby chickens. I hold them gently of course and close to my hair and snuggle them under my jacket or fleece vest if I am wearing one.

The ducklings are about 12 days old. Am I trying to hold them to early or not enough? How long til they start to warm up to you? Does anyone have any hints for a beginner duck raiser?
I think I have Indian Runners if that helps. If they aren't Runners someone suggested they are Cayugas.

Last edited:
They look like my runners did.

Some will depend on the duck. Marwan has a couple of drakes that are that friendly, you could search for his posts.

Do you give them treats? Be sure they have had some chick grit so they can "chew" the food, but holding peas in my half-closed hand got my runners used to touching me.

I raised eleven (two have passed away), and they are friendly but none like the lap. That was on purpose. I wanted them friendly and sociable, but still mostly bonded to one another.

Also, my runners at three weeks of age became terrified of me being too close, and then we had several weeks of remediation therapy (I literally crawled into the brooder room, and always spoke before coming into sight, and used treats frequently, avoided cornering them - which meant they could run around my hallway while I cleaned the brooder). But they shook that off eventually and now really seem to like my presence. Just don't like being picked up, won't sit still in my lap. On the other hand, when I sit with them, or take a nap with them, some will come up and cuddle up against me. Very sweet.

Niacin is recommended for the first 10 weeks of life. Ducklings require more niacin for proper leg development than is found in chick starter. Some ducklings require more than others and it is an inexpensive addition to their diet.

You need to go more slowly with ducklings in order for them to get used to people. Even when raised and handled often, not all ducks will become lap ducks. You need to go slow, don't force it and they will go through a phase in a few weeks where they think everything is going to kill them and they will act like it. Use age appropriate treats and try to get them to approach you. They need to see you a non-threatening thing. Seeing them laying down they could be runners or cayugas. Runners stand more upright and are a very nervous breed.

Thank you guys for your replies. I am doing alright then. I pretty much sit on the floor of the coop, talk gently to them, and let them come check me out on their own. I took them out in the chicken yard this morning. They ran like runners. So adorable seeing them running so straight up. I am going to get some Naicin today. I'll have to go home and separate them so I don't give the chicks to much naicin water. They are a jumpy bunch. One of the runners her feet look a bit turned in and she steps on the corners of each foot as she runs. Do they do that sometimes as they grow into themselves?

I made bonding progress. When I took them out yesterday and they came to me when I called to them with cheep cheeps. They came and sat right under the shade of my leg.
clap.gif
I am so happy about that. It lets me know I am doing something right.

big_smile.png
Thank you. I love my chickens and the ducks have quickly made a precious place in my heart. The ducks are even more entertaining than the chickens. It will be fun watching them interact together as they all grow.

How soon before they start getting their feathers in? They are 2 weeks old today.

Last edited:
big_smile.png
Thank you. I love my chickens and the ducks have quickly made a precious place in my heart. The ducks are even more entertaining than the chickens. It will be fun watching them interact together as they all grow.

How soon before they start getting their feathers in? They are 2 weeks old today.

In my experience, the ducks took a lot longer to feather in than the chickens - but I can't remember exactly when it was when feathers started coming in.

Back
Top Bottom