how to care for ducklings

When can you put them outside? We got some WH that are about 3 weeks old. WH are not huge ducks, but they sure are growing a lot faster than chickens. They are just beginning to get their pin feathers in. I just have 5..but oh the mess. I have tunred off the lamp, but since they are inside it does not get too cold. They were not getting close to where the heating was. I raised it to the point of it was not really doing anything so I took it out.

I have had mine outside in the coop with heat lamps since I bought them from Tractor Supply. After my chicks hatched and dried (about 24 hours) in the incubator I put them outside in the coop as well with the heat lamps. This is how I had it set up for them. During the day it is reaching 83 degrees now so I only keep one heat lamp on for the baby chicks. I gave them the bigger water now that the ducklings and chicks have grown. I was using a smaller water container.

I have a question.. does gamebird feed have enough niacin for ducklings?
I bought this food by MannaPro called "Gamebird/Showbird Complete Crumbles." The label claims it works for ducks, but I was not able to ascertain how much niacin it had. So I've been adding Niacin to my ducklings' water, just for good measure. I don't know if the stuff you got is the same is this, but if it is, notice that the protein content is 24%. Since 21% is the recommended amount of protein for baby ducklings, I had to get other food to mix with this to bring down the net percentage.

I bought this food by MannaPro called "Gamebird/Showbird Complete Crumbles." The label claims it works for ducks, but I was not able to ascertain how much niacin it had. So I've been adding Niacin to my ducklings' water, just for good measure. I don't know if the stuff you got is the same is this, but if it is, notice that the protein content is 24%. Since 21% is the recommended amount of protein for baby ducklings, I had to get other food to mix with this to bring down the net percentage.
Yeah I could mix it with chicken food, I was just wondering because I buy gamebird feed for my quail.

Back
Top Bottom