How to know when my chickens are going to lay

I noticed what I suspected to be pullet eggs from my SLW a little over a week ago (they are 19 weeks). I thought it was was little early for that breed, but sure enough, I FINALLY caught two of them in the nest boxes! I will never get tired of first eggs! Or any eggs for that matter...it's like getting little presents everyday.

It was like waiting for christmas morning! And thank you for all the answers X3 I can't wait to hear that egg song :D Happy Eggs! Can't wait till all 10 chickens began laying their's. now I have 9 to wait for X3

I think it depends on the chicken... mine have been laying for over a year now and sometimes they lay in the morning, sometimes in the middle of the day, and sometimes in the evening. I haven't noticed the same chicken in the nest box at the same time each day. I also have a few that go in lay an egg and are out back in the run in no time and a few others that like to 'sit' on the nest for hours before they lay... I guess each chicken has their own way.

I do remember that for the first few weeks that they started laying that there was no consistency with when or how often they laid an egg... some were giving me an egg a day for 3-4 days and then nothing for 2 days, others were laying every 2-3 days. I had 8 chickens to start with and when they all 'regulated' their egg laying, I was getting 5-6 eggs a day. Now I have 11 hens, 2 roo's, and 3 ducks. My first flock seems to have taken a break and I'm only getting about 3 eggs a day, but I'm on egg watch as I hope that 4 more hens should start laying soon, I hope. I also remember that my girls didn't sing an egg song for a few months until after they started laying - maybe they were still in shock that they laid an egg and didn't want the other girls to know, now I can hear them in the house as they are louder than the roo's.

Enjoy your eggs, I find it amazing that these girls figure it out all on their own.

I love watching : ) I just got my second egg a few minutes ago ~ When will ducks start legging their eggs ( I know I'm full of questions XD ) And also how long should I wait to take the egg out of the nest?

That's a good question about the ducks, my mom has some and she has yet to get an egg, unless they are hidden pretty well! ;) I believe hers are 4 1/2 months old.

Our flock of 7 hens are around 19-20 weeks or so (you can never be too sure with Tractor Supply) and most of them have been laying for just over a week. The biggest "clue" as to when they were going to begin laying is they started doing what I call a "submissive squat." It's the funniest thing, you'll walk up to them (usually from the side) and they will suddenly squat down a little, wings stretched out on either side a little and she'll kind of "bow" down. This is not only a position of submission but also the posture the hen takes as a Roo is getting ready to mount her! Within a week or less of seeing this posture you should have eggs! It sure worked that way for us!

Make sure you have your nest boxes ready to go! Even with all new hens they knew right where to go (I'm so proud!
hit.gif
) and we've not had an issue yet with finding an egg in the yard or somewhere else. The eggs are always in the next boxes where they should be! Good luck!

Had to tell yall that we got 2 eggs today! You can tell they're from different girls too! They're both kinda small, but one is a tint darker and more oval! I'm so excited! PLUS, the second one I found today was in the nest box! We use 5 gallon buckets for our boxes. We built a platform to the size of the bucket. Anyway, I'm just beyond tickled!!!!! I've been paying more attention to the red comb. I've noticed that Tink,who we know is laying, hers is bright red. Molly {RIR} hers has perked up and turned red too. IDK that that was a sign. I'll pay more attention to squatting, but there ain't no way I'm sticking my fingers in a chicken vent! I'll happy and impatiently wait....
wee.gif

Another question, this one has like no relation to the topic, but, my duck's feathers seem to be either turning white, or falling out, they're just about 4 months I believe. ( I do not have a good memory at times ) aRe they molting or something? can't seem to get them into the pool either, one duck is handicapped.

Back
Top Bottom