How to sex Muscovy ducklings

Haha Sir Quackers, we got a Duchess Meow (my daughters cat). It's funny because my daughter swears it's a boy too lol. You both might just be right. Guess only time will tell. :)

Would love to see your babies lined up. :p

Oh great! Now that I see the closeup on the head I feel like changing my mind... Maybe it's the angle? So either Sir Quackers or Empress Quackers - lol! Either way, here is my lineup of seven. They were a little over a month at the time of this photo. The boys have the blue circles around their heads...the four ladies have the pink. They only kept the prominent ears for about 3 weeks after this photo and then from there on it was a size race. though the boys outgrew the girls very fast and were always recognizable to me. Maybe this ear theory only proves true with this batch of ducklings? But I am one to examine my babies for their characteristics. I do the same with my chickens! But even then you will often get at least 1 surprise per hatch!!

Click on the picture to get it bigger, ofc, and then try comparing Quackers to the babies in the picture and see who it resembles closest... :D Sorry I changed my mind - lol!

Please help me figure out if these are boys or girls.

Ok, I've included the side of the legs and their heads. I can include more if need be.

Hello! Okay, could you possible get a picture of them side by side? And how old are they? I would almost guess the top one to be a boy, because I can see "ears" in the top picture...

Ok. I can post a side by side comparison later. I have had them about a month and they we're says old when I got them. The amount of feathering they have going on seems like older than a month.

This side by side is about 1 week ago. The feather changes between then and now are huge.

Last edited:
Hmm...Kinda hard but either way I think you have two of the same thing. My guess would be two females. If they are the same length at this age, I would be pretty sure that they are the same. Soo sorry nothing's written in stone! But I did have 1 of my 3 males that was more petite. I often mistook him for a female. Now that they are HUGE you can tell immediately. Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why some people say you have to wait till they are almost 8 months old to tell with Muscovies. They are easier than Mallards in my opinion... Very polite ducks and I love them!! :) Yours are very cute!

Back
Top Bottom