How to stop a female hen crowing?!

I have a very loud hen. I use a rooster collar but not tight. When she starts screaming for fun I tell her no and spray bottle her. After that she gets the silly Velcro collar and i fluff up all her feathers and this keeps her busy and the yelling stops. Over time it’s pretty effective! She’s too busy and annoyed to be screaming.

They don’t seem to really like laying eggs with them on so I take them off at night and noon so they can rest. It’s just a short term redirection.
Thanks for this input! My problem is I work partly from home and partly from an office, so on those days when I’m not home, I’d have to either leave the collar on (which I think is quite a safety risk and would be very uncomfortable and unpleasant for poor Tilly) or off and then just have her screaming the place down at her leisure. I can’t actually believe what a crow she’s developed - I can hear her 5 houses away 🫣 it didn’t always used to be as loud, but clearly (most unfortunately in my case) practice makes perfect!! 🙃

Tell me about it 🙃😂 And they are waaaaay louder than any crowing hen could hope to be, especially if their roosts are disturbed at night!

I personally find the Hadedas to be louder (and annoying) than the wild Guinea Fowls 😂 ...

And they seem to be increasing in numbers exponentially - I never even knew Hadedas existed when I was a kid growing up in Table View, Cape Town, and now they are everywhere in the Cape!

But I do enjoy the wild Guinea Fowls and look forward to their visits to my house.

I really hope you were able to successfully sort out the crowing issue with your hen.

Last edited:
can anyone give me advise on how to stop a female hen crowing, I separate her on a night and keep her in a dog crate in the house but as soon as she goes back outside she starts crowing again :( it is since I brought two more hens into my flock so I’m aware it’s a dominance thing but she doesn’t seem to be stopping if anything she’s getting louder! Also I can’t tell if my other hen (who is five months old) is a male or female, she/he hasn’t started laying yet but crowed just the other week but a hen nothing since, I don’t know if she/he is mimicking my other female or is actually a roo, any advice would be appreciated :)
I have a hen that was traumatized by a possum that killed her sister and her 5 chicks in the henhouse. My fault, I locked them up with the possum in there.
The hen would not return at night and started growing the waddles, crown and crowing. Maybe 2 months go by and I caught her in there eating so I closed the door. Next day I opened the door as always for them, she went out too and came back that night. Now that she's back in with her crowing brother she stopped crowing and she's laying eggs.

The hen would not return at night and started growing the waddles, crown and crowing.
Those are called wattles, not waddles. And she could not suddenly "grow the wattles" because all chickens already have wattles from the moment they hatch out, whether they are male or female. Some are just really small, or either are hidden by a beard if the chicken does possess one. The body part that you are calling the "crown" is actually the comb, and like the wattles, all chickens already have this so they could not just suddenly grow it. In simple terms, you meant to say that your hen's comb and wattles started reddening like a male's.

Hi, thanks. I have Old English Game bantam mutts. With black legs. The hens are all black, with no wattles or comb. They are small, fast and have problems when I grab them, so I just don't. But they hang with me and there's a mutual respect. If for some reason I have to catch one I'll check it out if it's under their feathers.
This one chick looks just like her brother and she was crowing when she came out of her special bush. They lay very small eggs every two or three days. They are regular size yolks with less white and tastes better than my large hen.

I personally find the Hadedas to be louder (and annoying) than the wild Guinea Fowls 😂 ...

And they seem to be increasing in numbers exponentially - I never even knew Hadedas existed when I was a kid growing up in Table View, Cape Town, and now they are everywhere in the Cape!

But I do enjoy the wild Guinea Fowls and look forward to their visits to my house.

I really hope you were able to successfully sort out the crowing issue with your hen.
By way of update, she went broody and then moulted, so she’s stopped crowing, for now! She’s just laid her first egg in a good few weeks though… so we’ll see whether the crowing resumes 😬 fingers crossed it doesn’t!

Back
Top Bottom