How to stop a female hen crowing?!

bridgetamelia98

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2021
can anyone give me advise on how to stop a female hen crowing, I separate her on a night and keep her in a dog crate in the house but as soon as she goes back outside she starts crowing again :( it is since I brought two more hens into my flock so I’m aware it’s a dominance thing but she doesn’t seem to be stopping if anything she’s getting louder! Also I can’t tell if my other hen (who is five months old) is a male or female, she/he hasn’t started laying yet but crowed just the other week but nothing since, I don’t know if she/he is mimicking my other female or is actually a roo, any advice would be appreciated :)

can anyone give me advise on how to stop a female hen crowing, I separate her on a night and keep her in a dog crate in the house but as soon as she goes back outside she starts crowing again :( it is since I brought two more hens into my flock so I’m aware it’s a dominance thing but she doesn’t seem to be stopping if anything she’s getting louder! Also I can’t tell if my other hen (who is five months old) is a male or female, she/he hasn’t started laying yet but crowed just the other week but nothing since, I don’t know if she/he is mimicking my other female or is actually a roo, any advice would be appreciated :)
You can't short of killing her.
Why is it a problem?
There is no dominance thing. There is a gender role thing however and some hens crow whatever their keeping circumstances.

My polish went through the same thing. I got up early in the morning before she was up and would spray with a spray bottle everytime she did it. She stopped after five days. Also I’d tell her to be quiet and clapped at her if she started. Kinda asserting my dominance in a way. This help me but everyone is different. She started crowing as soon as I got rid of our rooster and she was at the bottom of the pecking order.

My polish went through the same thing. I got up early in the morning before she was up and would spray with a spray bottle everytime she did it. She stopped after five days. Also I’d tell her to be quiet and clapped at her if she started. Kinda asserting my dominance in a way. This help me but everyone is different. She started crowing as soon as I got rid of our rooster and she was at the bottom of the pecking order.
Thankyou I’ll try the spray bottle that’s a good idea, mine is a polish too.

In flocks without a rooster, often the dominant hen will try to fill the void and act as substitute.

You could show us some pictures of your newly acquired chickens so we might be able to determine their gender.
This is the one I am unsure of gender wise

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    808.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3671.jpeg
    IMG_3671.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 51
Pictures of birds would be helpful. A good side view of the birds standing naturally and pics of face showing combs and wattles ?

Attachments

• IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    808.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3671.jpeg
    IMG_3671.jpeg
    869.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom