How to stop a female hen crowing?!

You can't short of killing her.
Why is it a problem?
There is no dominance thing. There is a gender role thing however and some hens crow whatever their keeping circumstances.
It is in fact a dominance thing and to do with the pecking order since I have recently added more hens to the flock and it’s a problem because I live in a built up area and people will complain.

It is in fact a dominance thing and to do with the pecking order since I have recently added more hens to the flock and it’s a problem because I live in a built up area and people will complain.
Mine tried to jump from the bottom to the top of the pecking order as soon as the rooster was gone. Literally the day after we got rid of him she took her shot and started to crow. I most definitely think it’s a dominance thing.

My polish went through the same thing. I got up early in the morning before she was up and would spray with a spray bottle everytime she did it. She stopped after five days. Also I’d tell her to be quiet and clapped at her if she started. Kinda asserting my dominance in a way. This help me but everyone is different. She started crowing as soon as I got rid of our rooster and she was at the bottom of the pecking order.
Did this work long term? Just curious

She stopped for a while but started back she crows like two/3 times a month. But if I’m out there and give her a shake while in the squatting position she stops or if I spritz her.

She stopped for a while but started back she crows like two/3 times a month. But if I’m out there and give her a shake while in the squatting position she stops or if I spritz her.
I’ve got a hen (definitely a hen, she lays beautiful white eggs) who has crowed on and off, but the last few weeks it’s become daily, and multiple times a day. It’s a matter of time until someone complains and I have a major issue. We aren’t allowed roosters where I live and the noise control laws are pretty strict… and she’s got a very impressive crow on her!

I don’t want to rehome her if I can help it, but nothing I do seems to discourage her for long - the flock seems to acknowledge me as the “rooster” (they all do the egg squat for me), I’ve tried giving her a shake or a “peck” with a finger and the water bottle spritz, but she remains undeterred. The only thing that helps is crating her separately at night and first thing in the morning, but the second she’s returned to the run, she’s back at it again! I can shut her in the coop for part of the day to at least dampen the volume somewhat but it’s problematic because the other girls can’t access the nest boxes as and when they need to.

Anyone have any recommendations? I’m at my wit’s end, and as much as I love sweet Tilly, I don’t want to lose all my girls because she’s now got it into her head that she’s a rooster 😒

I’ve got a hen (definitely a hen, she lays beautiful white eggs) who has crowed on and off, but the last few weeks it’s become daily, and multiple times a day. It’s a matter of time until someone complains and I have a major issue. We aren’t allowed roosters where I live and the noise control laws are pretty strict… and she’s got a very impressive crow on her!

I don’t want to rehome her if I can help it, but nothing I do seems to discourage her for long - the flock seems to acknowledge me as the “rooster” (they all do the egg squat for me), I’ve tried giving her a shake or a “peck” with a finger and the water bottle spritz, but she remains undeterred. The only thing that helps is crating her separately at night and first thing in the morning, but the second she’s returned to the run, she’s back at it again! I can shut her in the coop for part of the day to at least dampen the volume somewhat but it’s problematic because the other girls can’t access the nest boxes as and when they need to.

Anyone have any recommendations? I’m at my wit’s end, and as much as I love sweet Tilly, I don’t want to lose all my girls because she’s now got it into her head that she’s a rooster 😒
There is nothing you can do to stop a chicken from crowing, no matter their gender. As a warning, please do not buy a no-crow collar if you are considering one, as they only slightly muffle the noise and they easily choke and cause suffocation to the chicken. The only option you have is to re-home her to a place that allows crowing.

And, technically, if anyone comes after you saying that roosters are not allowed, you can tell them that your hen is crowing.

If you want your hen to stop crowing, the only way to stop that is to get a rooster. However, we will need pictures of your possible cockerel to confirm its gender.
This is the answer. Normally female chickens only crow on a rare instance that danger is nearby. Before I had any roosters, my hen Averie crowed when a coyote ran across the neighbors yard - after nearly getting hit by a car. She alerted the flock about that, but didn't do it ever again that I heard. A hen crowing all the time - like a rooster is like a one in a million chance - Yes, we are probably going to need pictures to confirm that its a hen and not a young cockerel.
Very good advice @SwampPrincessChick

This is the answer. Normally female chickens only crow on a rare instance that danger is nearby. Before I had any roosters, my hen Averie crowed when a coyote ran across the neighbors yard - after nearly getting hit by a car. She alerted the flock about that, but didn't do it ever again that I heard. A hen crowing all the time - like a rooster is like a one in a million chance - Yes, we are probably going to need pictures to confirm that its a hen and not a young cockerel.
Very good advice @SwampPrincessChick
And very good advice that you gave as well! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom