Hudson Valley NY *chat thread*

I hope everyone had a great weekend. Got some yard work done, slept late, ate too much at the barbecues we went to. I'm kind of bummed. I know someone who was hatching Welsh Harlequin ducklings & was supposed to get a male & 2 females. Well the hatch went bad due to a power outage, and they only have a few males. Oh well. Does anyone know of any WH ducklings that are available? Will have to keep looking. My mixed ducklings are 7 weeks old, I sold the males & kept 2 females. They are enjoying swimming in their pool and have lots to tell me whenever I walk by. My Cream Legbars are in lockdown as well as some mixed eggs from my flock. Also have more ducklings hatching in a week (Runner/Khaki Campbell cross). Hawk, our bantam broody is siting on about 10 eggs in the coop. Anyone looking for cockerels? I have some 8 week old mixed ones as well as a gorgeous Splash Ameraucana. Two Cream Legbars too in case anyone is interested. Have to make room for the new babies. My husband noticed the goslings but he seems to think they're ducklings.
smile.png

Hope everyone had a great weekend! We went to go see the Blue Angels in Jones Beach on sunday...its was beautiful! The Pool is now officially open! Woo
Hope everyone is staying cool!

Hi Everybody~
I hope all is well with your chickens & chicks and ducks & ducklings!
The Broody Buff orpington is now the proud momma of 2 cute chicks. Not sure if they're biologically hers, though. She took it upon herself to sit on everyone's eggs. One of the chicks is black and the other is light grey. We gave the other eggs several more days and nothing hatched so we took them from her. The other broody buff is still hanging out. It'll be a surprise when/if her eggs hatch because I have no idea when it was she decided to go hormonally insane. Gertie the Australorp is broody also so we put a couple of eggs from the coop where the Jerk Rooster resides so Gertie won't be wasting her time. 14 eggs in the incubator hatching next Monday. This is getting out of control. Oh hell...it IS out of control

I hope everyone had a nice weekend !
Doesn't it seem like yesterday we were all freezing and knee-deep in snow? I'm almost ready to turn the A/C on.

Stay cool ~
tongue2.gif

So yesterday I adopted/rescued 2 older hens. I'm unsure of their ages. I was told they're on the younger side. One is a white leghorn and one is RIR . I have 6 (6) week old pullets in the coop and today adopted a 12 week old Easter egger from a fellow BYC member. The RIR gets along with the white leghorn from her own farm. They lived together but with a million more chickens. She is MEAN!!!! She's attacking everyone in a dominant way. I'm not liking her attitude. I know it's only been a day and the whole pecking order thing but she's giving me a bad vibe. What should I do????

She is debeaked poor thing. Let her adjust. Frieda is getting her comeuppance. If she is truly awful, cull her or rehome but I would say give it time. Then again, she came from a bad place. Again time will tell.

No blood. She chases all the babies away from everything. Poor Frieda was trying to get in the coop at dusk last night and BigRed sat right in front of the entrance like "yea ...try it!" Then she came out trust to chase her around the outside. My husband hates BigRed....I said they need time to adjust to each other.

Will there always be a dominant one in the flock? Like dogs?

I hope she calms down because she will have a much happier life here than where she was. I really don't like that their beaks were trimmed. Poor girls. :(

No blood. She chases all the babies away from everything. Poor Frieda was trying to get in the coop at dusk last night and BigRed sat right in front of the entrance like "yea ...try it!" Then she came out trust to chase her around the outside. My husband hates BigRed....I said they need time to adjust to each other.

Will there always be a dominant one in the flock? Like dogs?
Hi BarnMom~

Sounds like BigRed wants to be the BigBoss. I have a couple of bossy girls too. From what I've read about integrating newcomers, it has to be done gradually. I have 2 silkies I'm trying to introduce to my original flock. I've had a small part of the run fenced off and a dog crate for shelter for them since Sunday. A couple of the Girls somehow get in there to harass them occasionally. So far no blood thankfully. I think it takes a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom