Huge area exposed ***UPDATE 1/20/14***PICTURES

Pinless peepers are a good short-term solution, but be aware that they can cause injury if the chicken were to manage to scratch them off, and can cause minor deformation of the nostrils if left in long-term. I have had both happen, even with the proper application of peepers. I consider them a last-ditch effort if nothing else works out.
They may also cause chafing or wounds if you try to put them on birds that have a larger comb or a thick comb that comes more forward of the nostrils. Use them with care, and sparingly.

Thank you for the advice. This was a last ditch effort. After numerous other suggestions that were given to me in another post, we resorted to using these. I was told to leave these on for 2 months and then take them off. So, that is what I was going to do. Is that not a good idea? I was told if you take them off sooner then they can go right back to attacking again. After we tried all sorts of other isolation ideas and re-introducing ideas and they were still attacking each other we were afraid that we were going to have to cull at least the injured hen. They are working right now and doing good. So, the question would be how long do they need to stay on for? I will watch for the chafing or wounds. Thank you again! :)

Last edited:
Awesome advice!!!! Based on the advice given, and the nature of my girls (I understand chickens are chickens) I will use the saddles on all of them, first. This should create a nice diversion! In addition to that, giving them TONS of treats!

My girls are nice and I haven't had any fights... also the wound can not be seen because her wing covers it. Also, by that time it will be healed and covered by the saddle.

If that doesn't work I'll have the peepers as a backup. Hopefully, it will not be necessary because even though I know my girls, it's best to be prepared. They left her alone when it happened and when she went in the coop, as I was fixing up the bathroom for her, they didn't do anything mean. My hope is that they will do the same, when she is reintroduced!!!

Good luck and I'm sure everything will work out great! I'm learning also and cannot wait to hear how they do. Thank you! :)

Thank you for the advice. This was a last ditch effort. After numerous other suggestions that were given to me in another post, we resorted to using these. I was told to leave these on for 2 months and then take them off. So, that is what I was going to do. Is that not a good idea? I was told if you take them off sooner then they can go right back to attacking again. After we tried all sorts of other isolation ideas and re-introducing ideas and they were still attacking each other we were afraid that we were going to have to cull at least the injured hen. They are working right now and doing good. So, the question would be how long do they need to stay on for? I will watch for the chafing or wounds. Thank you again! :)

When it comes to it, they can help if nothing else does! I have one hen that was just a jerk, no matter how much space or actives she was given. We had the peepers on her for more than three months, because each time we took them off she just got nasty again. Having a rooster around has mellowed her out, but when we didn't have one she was a bit of a terror. All I can say is that there are no 'rules' that our chickens listen to. Try them for a month or two, and then take them off and see if it worked. It will for some, and not for others! You will undoubtedly have to experiment to see what will work for you in your situation. Each situation and bird is unique so the best advice I have is to be flexible. :)

When it comes to it, they can help if nothing else does! I have one hen that was just a jerk, no matter how much space or actives she was given. We had the peepers on her for more than three months, because each time we took them off she just got nasty again. Having a rooster around has mellowed her out, but when we didn't have one she was a bit of a terror. All I can say is that there are no 'rules' that our chickens listen to. Try them for a month or two, and then take them off and see if it worked. It will for some, and not for others! You will undoubtedly have to experiment to see what will work for you in your situation. Each situation and bird is unique so the best advice I have is to be flexible. :)

Good advice and thank you!

Thanks for asking, redhen689! It looks better to me. People recommended blue kote, to dry it out and dye it. However, there was a thread with a warnings for Blu-Kote specifically states not to use it on food producing animals. So I've stuck with using vetericyn and quit the neosporin. I plan on ordering some probiotics, she is still on duramycin.

Here are pictures from today...any insight will be appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Thanks for asking, redhen689! It looks better to me. People recommended blue kote, to dry it out and dye it. However, there was a thread with a warnings for Blu-Kote specifically states not to use it on food producing animals. So I've stuck with using vetericyn and quit the neosporin. I plan on ordering some probiotics, she is still on duramycin.

Here are pictures from today...any insight will be appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Looks really good! I've read the same thing about BluKote, so I used Pine Tar instead on mine.

Thank you, I hope it's going well! It looks like it to me, but what do I know!!! Any input is always appreciated and welcomed! Thank you!!!!

Back
Top Bottom