Huge area exposed ***UPDATE 1/20/14***PICTURES

Yes, those "saddles" are very interesting and I had never heard of them before. But, I was referring to "Pinless Peepers", which are like little sunglasses they wear on top of their beaks. It prevents them from seeing the injured hen and attacking her but allows them to still see up and down to eat and get around. I posted some pictures of mine just recently and they've been wearing them for a week today and are doing good. I posted it under the Welcome New Members forum and I said "Hello from Arizona and then asked for help." I had never heard of those before a week ago either! We are learning a lot on this website aren't we?!!
smile.png

absolutely!!!! I am always learning things ALL the time!!!! :D

Also creativetracy, I may just buy those things, just in case!

Last edited:
That is an excellent idea. I have saddles I ordered thru pampered poultry and am going to put saddles on 5 of my white rocks to distract them when I add a hen back whose back had scratch marks on it from her feathers being worn off. I put her in the silkie barn so her back could heal. Cathryn rainbowsilkies MI

Ellisa, I found my "Pinless Peepers" on EBay really cheap. There are some other websites like Eggcartons who carry them, but I got the ones on EBay for a few dollars compared to $11+ that Eggcartons had them for. They arrived really fast too! AND, you can pick fun colors!!! :)

Last edited:
That is an excellent idea. I have saddles I ordered thru pampered poultry and am going to put saddles on 5 of my white rocks to distract them when I add a hen back whose back had scratch marks on it from her feathers being worn off. I put her in the silkie barn so her back could heal. Cathryn rainbowsilkies MI
Good luck!! :) Thank you also for all the advice you are sharing!

Thank you for your kindness! I use Pampered Poultry because the owner has them made as part of project to give work to 3rd world women. Plus Julie herself sewed ruffles on an apron for my silkie that went to a support chickens meeting. We didn't get pictures for her but I wish I did. Not only are they excellent made with the seams on the inside, but they are durable and wash well. Check out her How They Are Made section of Julie's website. I highly encourage everyone to support Julie's sewing crew. Cathryn rainbowsilkies MI

Thank you for your kindness! I use Pampered Poultry because the owner has them made as part of project to give work to 3rd world women. Plus Julie herself sewed ruffles on an apron for my silkie that went to a support chickens meeting. We didn't get pictures for her but I wish I did. Not only are they excellent made with the seams on the inside, but they are durable and wash well. Check out her How They Are Made section of Julie's website. I highly encourage everyone to support Julie's sewing crew. Cathryn rainbowsilkies MI

What is the website? I will go check them out! Thanks! :)

Pinless peepers are a good short-term solution, but be aware that they can cause injury if the chicken were to manage to scratch them off, and can cause minor deformation of the nostrils if left in long-term. I have had both happen, even with the proper application of peepers. I consider them a last-ditch effort if nothing else works out.
They may also cause chafing or wounds if you try to put them on birds that have a larger comb or a thick comb that comes more forward of the nostrils. Use them with care, and sparingly.

Awesome advice!!!! Based on the advice given, and the nature of my girls (I understand chickens are chickens) I will use the saddles on all of them, first. This should create a nice diversion! In addition to that, giving them TONS of treats!

My girls are nice and I haven't had any fights... also the wound can not be seen because her wing covers it. Also, by that time it will be healed and covered by the saddle.

If that doesn't work I'll have the peepers as a backup. Hopefully, it will not be necessary because even though I know my girls, it's best to be prepared. They left her alone when it happened and when she went in the coop, as I was fixing up the bathroom for her, they didn't do anything mean. My hope is that they will do the same, when she is reintroduced!!!

Back
Top Bottom