Humans catching diseases from chicken poo?

Yes you can become sick from breathing in the dust off of any fowls poop.
In deep litter there is not only dried poop there is feathers and fluff as well as cast off skin flakes.
There could be dead chicken mites as well as the residue from dusting chickens for these pest.
All this falls to the floor and when you rake or sweep it becomes airborne and inhaled.

You should wear a dust mask when cleaning any coop or loft.

I do know that my doctor just about stroked out when she realized that I had chickens (I have a compromised immune system). I promised her that I would get a good respirator and wear it. I am very faithful to do so when shoveling out the coops. It's a small thing to do to be safe. Well... safer anyway.
smile.png

No it's true. Farmer's Lung. But it's from industrial conditions, or filth conditions that you won't normally have.

And yes, any time you're cleaning out the coop - the good big clean outs, do please wear goggles and dust masks. The bacteria in droppings and dust can cause bacterial infections in your eye as well, and tiny little ulcers.

Really just use common sense. You wouldn't stir us ANY creatures dried feces and allow yourself to breath them in. Or dust.

Quote:
It just takes one - but the more you have, the more droppings there are.

Again, ANY heavy particulates if you breathe in enough will cause problems, and especially any dried to powder feces.

Quote:
The Doc probably never considered the asbestos he breathed in. That stuff was everywhere 30 years ago.

I believe farmers lung was a product of grain & hay dust. Bat guano and wolf scat are the only fecal matter I've ever hear to be considered dangerous to breath directly in. I've never heard such a thing about chickens, other than ammonia problems. Now I have to look into it.

"Current animal exposures, while not statistically significant, were positively associated with farmer's lung, particularly for poultry houses (OR = 1.55, 95% CI 0.93 to 2.58)" Pesticides and other agricultural factors associated with self-reported farmer's lung among farm residents in the Agricultural Health Study., Authors Hoppins, et all.

Back
Top Bottom