I’m at my wits end right now….

That’s such a cute chick!

You know what to do and I’m sure your chicks will be fine. We always have potential worm/coccidia spike after wet weather events over here. I’m in Melbourne and we’ve had 3x consecutive La Niña years… it’s been challenging! Luckily you are both experienced and prepared. Make sure you spend some quality time with your flock so it doesn’t seem all bad.
I feel like I live in my coop! My boyfriend build me a 5 star coop and it’s been my favorite place to be! Did you ever kill the cocci from your coop? I read to clean with a mix of ammonia and water…but I feel like even that didn’t really work

I feel like I live in my coop! My boyfriend build me a 5 star coop and it’s been my favorite place to be! Did you ever kill the cocci from your coop? I read to clean with a mix of ammonia and water…but I feel like even that didn’t really work

Oh wow that’s very nice of him! We have a converted tin shed haha it’s no luxury accomodation but does the trick. It’s hard to establish anything really nice/permanent in a rental unfortunately.

I will be a stickler and say that cocci is actually a type of bacteria and coccidia is the protozoa parasite that causes the illness coccidiosis.

There is always coccidia in the soil so you can’t ever eradicate it completely. The trick is to manage population surges when environmental conditions are right, and to protect developing chicks.

When there has been heavy rainfall and there is a surge in coccidia/worm population, the first thing I notice is watery droppings/diarrhoea and excessive intestinal shedding. My flock is on a worming regime now due to recurrent tapeworm issues, so if I see those symptoms now I know it’s coccidiosis and I treat. If I see it in chicks I will always treat. There is a preventative dosing for amprolium medication (every four days) which is useful in these circumstances to break the life cycle of the parasite and give the birds a chance to strengthen their immunity.

I don’t treat the coop itself. The bedding is pine shavings and I scoop clean it every morning. I scoop clean the backyard where they free range every day or several times daily if I’m home. Other than that I am implementing deep litter areas of the yard where the water collects. I also wash/sanitise their waterers once a week (or before/in between coccidiosis treatment) and I wash/sanitise their feeders every time I refill them.

I foundWho is responsible for the green droppings? I have her in a cage with vitamins and probiotics. I am giving her food and treats and eggs. I also am supplementing vitamin B complex oral gel just in case you need to be 12 I was thinking about giving her vitamin EEE but I don’t know what else to do for her she does have a limp. I’ve noticed that maybe two months ago she’s thin. I hate to say this, but do you think I should just cull her? Don’t mind the messy cage she just spilled her food. I literally just cleaned it.

Attachments

• 9120CD2B-FC9B-4727-8D59-023446F94B57.jpeg
    9120CD2B-FC9B-4727-8D59-023446F94B57.jpeg
    695.4 KB · Views: 21
You said you had about 23 birds. How big is their coop and their run? How many feeders and waterers do you have? I wouldn’t cull her if she’s presenting okay. If she is thin with green droppings I imagine she just isn’t getting enough to eat. What do you feed them usually?

Are your new chicks in the same run or do they have their own space?

My friend and I decided she’s in liver failure. She doesn’t have diahreah and her urate is green too. My coop is big I have a ton of water stations and feed stations. Don’t mind the bags on the ground that’s to catch feed. I have her in a crate right now with a lot of different food options. I’m not going to give up on her quite yet! My old flock is gone, I rehomed them… so these are all new birds.

I have feed from a local farmer w minerals in the big feeders so they have all day access to that, I also have crumbles I put out day and night but at night time I wet it down for them, they love that. Here and there they get fruit and veggie snacks.

Here and there they get sunflower seeds.. but mainly in the winter for fat.

I been at this for seven years, this year is a nightmare!

I have installed brooders in my coop…I looove it!!

Attachments

• C3208A92-6E8C-43C3-9BB3-052A1851B4D3.jpeg
    C3208A92-6E8C-43C3-9BB3-052A1851B4D3.jpeg
    753.1 KB · Views: 18
Green urates can also be a sign of starvation. If she has a limp maybe she hasn’t been moving around to the feeders much or can’t get out of the way of other birds. Did you check her feet for wounds?

I reckon keep her in her own little space with food and water and see if she gains strength. Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

I foundWho is responsible for the green droppings? I have her in a cage with vitamins and probiotics. I am giving her food and treats and eggs. I also am supplementing vitamin B complex oral gel just in case you need to be 12 I was thinking about giving her vitamin EEE but I don’t know what else to do for her she does have a limp. I’ve noticed that maybe two months ago she’s thin. I hate to say this, but do you think I should just cull her? Don’t mind the messy cage she just spilled her food. I literally just cleaned it.
Is she or any of your other birds acting sick at all?

Exactly what are you feeding - I think I read a farmer mix with vitamins? Do you have the analysis for the feed?
What treats/scratch, anything else are you feeding?

You had grain mites, I remember that thread. Did you shovel up all that spilled corn and scratch, get rid of it and clean out your run of old feed?

I'd try going back the very basics. Go buy a pelleted or crumble commercial all flock feed or chick starter that is 18-20% protein. Make oyster shell and grit (crushed granite) available free choice.
Provide clean, fresh plain water. Stop any supplements.

Drastically limit any treats/scratch/seeds/corn and only give a small amount that they will eat/clean up within a few minutes.

Rake up your run and get it fairly tidy. Add new litter/whatever you normally put in the run. Get rid of the feed bags in the run as well.

Back
Top Bottom