I am BEYOND angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:<

is it worth having to live in constant fear?

If it's not one thing it will be another. I've had some seriously dangerous sorts for neighbors too, it's not worth it, you should look to move elsewhere. Their whole philosophy is a threat to you and those you love, it will never be confined to just one incident, there will always be something... And if it's not them targeting you it can be you caught in the crossfire as others target them. I'd move house. Have before, never regretted it, only regretted not moving sooner.

Best wishes.

I get having *that* neighbor - we have one. We do NOT engage, in any way for any reason, with said neighbor (his elderly mother, though, is a lovely woman and I love having a chance to meet up with her at the mailbox or out on a walk - if for no other reason than it's good to see her and know she is alive and well). For this neighbor/this dog - SSS (the dog, not the neighbor)

Last edited:
Quote: We can't move. We just did. All I'm saying is that we don't want to call the police. They are into some bad stuff that we don't want to mess with. They will listen to us, now weather they do something or not is a different story. That dog needs to go, that's all I know... Thanks
hmm.png

I get having *that* neighbor - we have one. We do NOT engage, in any way for any reason, with said neighbor (his elderly mother, though, is a lovely woman and I love having a chance to meet up with her at the mailbox or out on a walk - if for no other reason than it's good to see her and know she is alive and well). For this neighbor/this dog - SSS (the dog, not the neighbor)
lol, kinda feel like it... yeah, isn't it so nice?
sad.png

So sorry for your loss...I feel your pain!!

I started raising chickens in a very residential neighborhood when I was 14 years old.
Had no idea about hardware cloth, built my pen with chicken wire.

I came home from school one day to see a bunch of my neighbors all excited on my front lawn.

There, in the middle, was one of the neighbors 75 pound dog with my rooster in its mouth, the rooster was still alive. No police were called.

I tackled the dog, fists flying...
We went a few rounds, me landing several good body shots, but the dog would not release my bird.

I positioned a choke hold.
He dropped the bird.
I wouldn't let go...the dog went limp...

Mom finally pulled me off while I was still beating the unresponsive dog.
Neighbors now starring in complete disbelief...blood everywhere, rooster, mine, and dog.

I carried away my now dead rooster.

Neighbor took her unconscious dog to vet.
Mom took me to the hospital.

That evening, my neighbor had a dog with broken ribs, and huge vet bill.
I had 8 stitches, a dead rooster, and apology with an offer to compensate.

Not to mention complete respect / fear from the neighbors.

Good neighbor, bad coop design. Lesson learned.

My current coop is built to keep a 200 pound dog out, I'm too old to fight mother nature.

I started raising chickens in a very residential neighborhood when I was 14 years old.

I came home from school one day to see a bunch of my neighbors all excited on my front lawn.

There, in the middle, was one of the neighbors 75 pound dog with my rooster in its mouth, the rooster was still alive. No police were called.

We went a few rounds, me landing several good body shots, but the dog would not release my bird.

He dropped the bird.

Neighbors now starring in complete disbelief...blood everywhere, rooster, mine, and dog.

My current coop is built to keep a 200 pound dog out, I'm too old to fight mother nature.

wow, sounds like something that happened to a friend. that's good that you have that setup

Wow so sorry to be reading this here as it was turning out to be a good day and to loose one chicken is horrible but almost everything you have is just mind boggling to boot I am so sorry for you I lot a Guinea to a Bob-Cat several nights ago and she was sitting on her egg's and a nice clutch also so them egg's are in my incubator right and hopping for the best on that ......

I know it sounds terrible to have to shoot someone's dog as I have had many a dog's in my life time and the problem is there are people out there who just have them and should not have gold fish as they are not responsible people in any way and if a owner is even some what reasonable then they would replace the chickens in some way and the same type of chickens not some mangy breed ether ......

I do have to admit after working with the people around me and watched some of them as they come by the house with their dogs and stand there and let their dog's go wild outside the fence and think it is funny I haven't a hard time putting them down and have been told by the Animal Control it was my responsibility to do so ....

I sure hope you find some new chickens to fill that empty space in your heart & get a Shoot Gun even a .410 will work ....

gander007
old.gif

He dropped the bird.

Now that is a responsible dog owner taking care of their damages and their dog's victims ....
clap.gif

Maybe you should install a hot wire a few inches up off the ground around your coop, or electric poultry netting. This will stop a dog better than most things. It sounds like your neighbor is already admitting this will probably happen again and pushing the problem off on you by telling you to just shoot it next time. When 'next time' comes you will probably lose the rest of your hens before you get the chance to do anything. Even if you are comfortable shooting the dog, is discharging a firearm in your town even legal? Not to mention you can't be home 24/7 to guard your coop. Any good neighbor would have offered to pay for damages, but since he isn't a good neighbor, and you are uneasy about him anyway, best to pay the money to reinforce the coop yourself so you can stop worrying.

Back
Top Bottom