I am sick of my dogs killing chickens

jadude

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
sc
My dogs just killed their milestone eight chickens today. It was their 3rd break in and i dont know how. I have tried every thing from caging them next to the coop to wrapping the dead birds around their necks.
Please help me because i am sick of having my chickens killed right as i was recovering from the last massacre.
Thank you
jad

Hi Jad - sorry for your loss but sounds like your dogs are not going to stop. If you can't build a dog-proof pen you need to get rid of your dogs or get rid of your chickens.

Jad,

I feel for you. Your dogs sound like they have it in their nature to go after the chickens. My dog nosed her way into my coop/run area a couple days ago when I was going in. She ran right after my babies. Thank got I grabbed her by the scruff and forced her out! She would kill one in a second if she had access.

I agree that you need to dog proof your coop or get rid of the chickens/dogs.

We have a Boston Terrier named Winston who adores the chickens, but the chickens I don't think feel the same way. They are still scared of him. Well we had a duck named Cinnamon for 8 or 9 years and they played together. Our chicks before used to sit on Winston when he layed down. Though he enjoys licking them. Our dogs have just been around them since they we're puppies. I don't think you will have any luck teaching them better, dogs just love chasing things. Good Luck.

-Emzy

Quote:
Shouldn't be too hard to dog-proof the chicken run/coop then. Now if you had said "great danes" that might have been a different story.

If you are telling us that your weeny dogs are breaking into a fenced coop/run area and killing chickens then ..... oh well I won't go there.

dachshounds can be hard on birds...you may want to look into chain link kennels for the dogs,or the birds..just make sure they are the good ones and that the bottom is wired tight,for the dogs you could get by with the 4 foot high,I use welded wire for my dogs,tho most are not killers but when I am gone I want to be sure nothing is going to happen,the welded wire is better but more money,I do have a cocker and a aussie that will chew up the chain link in no time flat..another thing that may work is if you know someone with an electronic collar and leave the dog loose(one at a time) leave the chickens loose and zap them when they start after the chickens,now this will cure some dogs for life and others figure out if they are not wearing the collar they dont need to worry..now if a chicken is stupid enough to stick a head into the dogs kennel,oh well,cannot blame the dog for that..

sounds like the dog need a good ol fashioned butt whooping with a dead chicken .....they learn fast when ya put the fear in them .sorry to hear about your loss ....i'm still working with one dog of mine ...shes had one in her mouth already ...luckily i caught her before any damage was done

first let me pass condolences. losing a pet is tough. but dogs are smarter than people. with proper training they can learn anything. my dogs have never bothered my cats or my chicken or anything that they were taught to leave alone. in fact, before my last dog passed; the cat, the dog and the chicken would all try to get in my lap at the same time.

maybe you could take your dogs to a peacock farm and let them tote a big whuppin from a peafowl. that might get their attention.

without trying to sound condescending, if you can't teach your dogs proper behavior then maybe your not qualified to own them. this is coming from a guy who has taken over ownership of several problem dogs in the past and had them toeing the line within 48 hours. sometimes the discipline is hard on the dogs in the short term but the overall results create a happier dog. dogs want to please their owner, you just have to make sure and let them know what displeases you in a way that they understand.

the whuppin has to be every time they even look at the chickens crosseyed, fairly vicious, and consistent. after just a few days they will straighten up if you whup them properly. if you are not willing to discipline the dogs properly then you are going to have to learn to build better fences.
michael

Quote:
Sorry dude! But this is true! You have 2 options!
1 teach the dog, ( not always an option)
2 protect them from future attacts!
And if you choose to teach the dog, best way to go!. Think about the way he thinks!
He can kill them or love and want to protect them as his own!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom