I can't believe he actually flogged me...

I'm very glad you cleared this up.
thumbsup.gif
It's difficult to "get" someone's true meaning from just reading what is written.
idunno.gif
When you said to smash them to the ground I, too, was getting a mental picture of this poor roo being abused!
ep.gif
Thanks!!!
frow.gif

Quote:
I have about 20+ roosters that free range right now....Never been flogged or threatened by any of them. I have only ever been flogged by 3 roosters in the 7 years that I have had my chickens (with well over 100 roo's coming and going). One was a D'Uccle roo that I bought as an adult, a buff rock roo and a roo that I hatched myself. Dispatched all 3. Never have I had to smash a birds head into the ground for no reason at all.... I actually find it quite appalling that you would go pluck a bird just to smash it into the ground. And yeah, I do think in comparison that you MIGHT get flogged, I do find this to be a bit of an over kill as well! I guess I will go beat my dogs so they are afraid of me and won't bite me....
roll.png

Ok, you can RELAX about the "smashing to the ground" part and beating your own dogs
th.gif
Really, with all the posts on this forum about poor sweet rooster suddenly flogging their owners you sound like the minority and evidently don't need any rooster help. This method is talked about all the time on these forums. Hang the rooster upside down for a few moments then put them on the ground and with your fingers point their heads to the ground......nicer? I guess I don't feel like using nicer words when a person is talking about being attacked/stocked/flogged by her own rooster.

I didn't expect ANYONE to think I am SMASHING baby roo's faces into the ground literally, heck I read of people kicking their roosters and using a shovel or carrying a stick to beat their roosters away from them all the time on these subjects and no one seems to think that's to harsh.

What is wrong with people on here? They take everything so seriously. If someone wants to smash a roosters head to the ground, that is their choice. And who seriously takes that literal when someone says that??? Crazy animal activists! Why aren't they jumping on people who beat their rooster with a stick or shovel?? That seems the same to me.
And to the person who compared roosters to dogs......they are nothing the same. Their methods of being alpha male are worlds apart. Just as all people aren't the same. Just because they are animals doesn't mean they learn the same.

I know I'm part of a tiny minority: My roo is a brat and I kept him. I spoiled him as a chick before I knew his sex. He is rough on the hens and tries to flog when he's irritated. I know, at least for this guy, it's fear related. He sleeps in a wire kennel next to his hens. When I release him in the morning he easily lets me pick him up and carry him to his (private) run. His flock buddies hang out with him through the wire and I do allow him conjugal visits with the bigger hens. I considered culling him when the aggression began but my son reminded me that, "Mom, he's just a bird." I might handle it differently if I had a larger flock or small kids.

You people have got to be kidding with all this right? and that you are "glad I cleard that up?" I mean people talk about actually kicking and hitting their roosters with shovels. I was just in the predator and pest section (topic was human was the predator and roo the prey) and someone said the husband kicked the rooster and then she hit it with a 2x4 and THEN got her .22 and pumped rounds into it, so if it were true that I was "graphically smashing a cockerel to the ground" to humiliate it and to prevent this potential human/rooster problem this is animal abuse? yet kicking and a 2x4 to a rooster is not? and not one person screached about it over on that topic, they all said they did the right thing and thought it was cool that she pumped rounds into the roo
th.gif
whatever people

I dont think I'll ever understand how or why you guys took that sentence of mine to THAT level. Really sucked the fun out of this forum on this rainy day today.

Quote:
I'll try to help you understand the difference...

The Roo that was shot and killed had just punched 2 holes in her little girl. This was a bad roo.

You said that, as part of your training, you "smashed" a young roo into the ground so he will fear you. This was a young roo who had done nothing bad so far.

Totally different situation.

... and for you further clarification, I believe that the person who said they were "glad you cleared that up", was trying to be nice to you and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I did not take it to mean anything more brutal then pressing his head into the ground. When it comes to animals, you have to be able to feel safe with them. Roosters can seriously hurt someone or a hen. I think it's important that they know who's boss. We won't be keeping any roosters, but we also would not let them misbehave more than once. Even if I were inclined to be forgiving, if my husband saw or heard about one of the animals even attempting to hurt one of the kids, that would be the end of the animal. I have three small children and we do not risk one of our animals hurting one of the kids.

When i first started keeping chickens i thought there was something wrong with my mellow roos. So when a friend bad a mean buff rooster we took him in. He was great to our hens, but flogged us any chance he got. Eventually my son wouldn't go outside. He hated louie,but he was just doing his job we thought.
Finally something took him out. His son replaced him. We can go outside without fear, for ourselves and our son. My kid can go outside whenever he wants. And my girls are well taken care of. I will never have a rooster that attacks my family again. You can't expect kids to know how to be "alpha" with a rooster that attacks you on your swing set. It takes a great rooster to show you don't have to put up with the mean ones.

mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
I'll try to help you understand the difference...

The Roo that was shot and killed had just punched 2 holes in her little girl. This was a bad roo.

You said that, as part of your training, you "smashed" a young roo into the ground so he will fear you. This was a young roo who had done nothing bad so far.

Totally different situation.

... and for you further clarification, I believe that the person who said they were "glad you cleared that up", was trying to be nice to you and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you "mmaddie's mom" - indeed that's all I was doing. No offense meant.​

Hey friends, it was great chatting with ya
th.gif

Here's the deal, I have no interest or value in this topic anymore, this is like beating a dead horse over and over, Ok, just to make sure you sensitive ones don't misunderstand the use of the word "beating" in that sentence that I did just say, I do NOT mean to literally beat a dead horse.......just wanted to be clear.....and any future posts I make I will from now on because you all showed me the error of my words, I will be sure to always be mindful and clarify any unsavory descriptive words
thumbsup.gif

I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy your chickens as I do.

Back
Top Bottom