I have a Rooster I city limits. I have a citation. My Roo and his mate are sultans..listed on AG end

My Hens and Roo

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Cornelius Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I'm grasping for help. And fast!!
I have a little Bantam Sultan Roo and his mate who co-habitate with our other 4 wide bodied girls. The pair are about a year old. All my neighbors are at one with my rooster. Except for one. The lady who doesn't like kids, animals, her husband... Nothing! Her husband grew up on a chicken farm and enjoys the "crowing much more than the sound of traffic. His wife however is a different story. My rooster of course crows, but we have the pair roost at night in an upstairs bathroom to ensure quiet for her in the mornings. We regimes our dog because she barked at the neighbor lady. After being squirted with a hose by the neighbor lady repeatedly I think the poor anal developed anxiety each time the lady showed her face. You see where I'm stuck here!? We do all we can to accommodate her but THIS TIME, No! We want to keep our Roo!!
She has complained so many times the police had no choice but to cite us. I say no choice which really means they felt bad because of the number of complaints they get from this neighbor about everything and anything she can complain about. There are many roosters in our town even though the ordinance bans them, the local police don't really mind having them at all and usually don't enforce the ordinance. Here's my problem. The Sultans are on the agricultural endangered list. I'm uncertain what that really means and if that can help me to keep my rooster? Buy me some time? I can't separate the two I feel they would die from broken hearts. Any help… Any knowledge from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated!! We love our Rooster to pieces and he is a great rooster! He has saved our ladies from the hawks many, many times. I had another rooster, Emu, all 19 pounds of his glory. He was loud and often! We re-homed him willingly, knowing he was just "too much" ....well, too much everything lol. So please believe me when I say I DO respect that a noise disturbance is just that! In this case That is not the case. He is very sweet and quiet for the most pRt unless it is necessary for protective reasons or to inform the ladies of a really choice worm or earwig! He is very excited to share and is a perfect gentleman.
PLEASE I would love to have some guidance from all you out there who are and absolute wealth of knowledge and experience. We appear in front of the judge on Wednesday, the 2nd. The judge is a small flock owner himself. thank you

Well, my pet chicken is selling a new collar that is supposed to reduce the volume of a roosters crow. Apparently to now powder than a hen. My cockeral wears one and I can't hear him unless he's in my lap. Maybe give it a try?

I am pretty sure she cannot spray or attack your pets. Unless maybe it is self defense.

You can team up with your neighbors and cite her unpleasantness is reducing your property values. Enough complaints from a majority of neighbors can get her evicted thru a lengthy process.

Put her on every mailing list you can find and she won't have time to complain!

Best of luck to you and your birds! Please keep us posted on how this transpires, from what I read you may have some grounds for a successful rebuttal that will hopefully be recognised by a Judge.

Are you in city or county?
What code violation is listed on the citation?

It looks like it's not roosters that are prohibited but the noise they might make.
9.20.025 Noise disturbance prohibited.
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue, cause, suffer or permit to be made or continued any noise disturbance as the same is defined in CCC 9.20.010(G) within the city.

(B) The following are deemed to qualify as “noise disturbances” for purposes of subsection (A) of this section and CCC 9.20.010(G), but this enumeration shall not be construed to be exclusive, namely:

(1) Permitting any animal to cause annoyance, or a disturbance at any time by repeated barking, whining, screeching, howling, braying or other sound that is heard beyond the boundary of the owner’s or keeper’s property

Hmmm, it says repeated noise. If this is what you were cited for, a rooster collar or decrowing *should* cover it. The code CCC 9.20.010 also discusses measuring the sound level. Anyway- since it's a noise prohibition, showing the judge your work to abate will help your case.

FYI- the city newspaper for Cornelius for May 2014 also has a small discussion on chickens PLUS asks for comments.

x2 on the teaming up thing. I would not put up with that lady. Get all of your neighbors to complain about her...somehow. If everyone is sick and tired of her than it shouldn't be hard to get rid of her or shut her up.
Good luck
smile.png
fl.gif

This is a fun little ditty. We were learning about rooster collars on here yesterday. We have our computer set up outside
0.jpg
on the deck in summertime. All of a sudden Mrs. Rooster hops up on the table. She was very interested as well.

We recently started using the No Crow Rooster Collar from My Pet Chicken. Our rooster did walk backwards at first, but he stopped that within a few minutes. We initially put it on very loose just so he could get accustomed to it. Then we began tightening a little at a time and observing him for several hours before tightening again. With each adjustment, he would walk backwards and/or try to get it off, but he would soon adjust and forget about it. Eventually, we got to a point where the sound was muffled but without any sort of distress with breathing. Perhaps a more gradual approach would allow you to use the rooster collar until you can get the neighbor/citation problem sorted out. Good luck!!
Thanks. This is the big day. I'm sticking with it!! Thanks for the good juu juu We will need it!!

This makes me so angry!! Can you put both roosters in your house for one day? See how many calls she makes to the police.... If they are inside, she can't hear them. Prove to the officers that she is complaining about nothing...... I surely would make her life miserable in one way or another... Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom