I have to talk POLISH!

Ive looked but cant find my answer to my color question. If I get a silver laced roo, blue, buff laced hens-what would they most likely look like?

If I'm understanding correctly the offspring will get black barrings? Is it better to stick with one color or is there colors that will compliment each other?

Ive looked but cant find my answer to my color question. If I get a silver laced roo, blue, buff laced hens-what would they most likely look like?

If I'm understanding correctly the offspring will get black barrings? Is it better to stick with one color or is there colors that will compliment each other?
If you want your colors to breed true, then yes you will need to keep the right colors together. Blue can be bred to black, chocolate and cucukoo (and even khaki I believe) Your laced varieties you want silver with silver, buff with buff, gold with gold. You could put different colors of laced together but the first generation offspring are not going to breed true. It would take a while of breeding offspring back to the parents and choosing the right ones to go together to get the color you wanted in the first place.

http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/breedinggenetics.htm

you can click the link above for more and clearer information about color genetics

If you want your colors to breed true, then yes you will need to keep the right colors together. Blue can be bred to black, chocolate and cucukoo (and even khaki I believe) Your laced varieties you want silver with silver, buff with buff, gold with gold. You could put different colors of laced together but the first generation offspring are not going to breed true. It would take a while of breeding offspring back to the parents and choosing the right ones to go together to get the color you wanted in the first place.

http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/breedinggenetics.htm

you can click the link above for more and clearer information about color genetics

So blue roo bred to a chocolate, black, cucuko hens? Those colors will breed true? So if I want my golds true I need another gold? Thanks!

Correct. Gold Laced X Gold Laced will produce... Gold Laced!

You can breed the other Laced colors together, but like NoseyChickens mentioned it will produce non standard colors that will take several more breedings to get back to your original color/goal color. Outcrossing this way though oftentimes does have it's benefits.

Last edited:
hmm that is very interesting! ok so now I'm off to look for a blue roo, khaki, black, chocolate hens. in these other colors will the hens always have a white crest? if they don't are they pure?

anybody know a breeder of these colors?

hmm that is very interesting! ok so now I'm off to look for a blue roo, khaki, black, chocolate hens. in these other colors will the hens always have a white crest? if they don't are they pure?

Look for some one on AK, Look on BYC buy and sell forms. Do a search or two or three. Good stock in hatching eggs, chicks or started birds are expensive as a lot of work has gone into breeding. Plus shipping is costly. Good luck in your search !

http://www.polishbreedersclub.com/photosofvarieties.htm
Here is a link to the different varieties of polish. Not all of these colors are accepted in the standard. If you really want to breed true to standard I would suggest buying a copy of the APA or ABA standard and even possibly joining the breeders club. Blue, White, Black, Cuckoo, and Buff do all come in a solid color without the White Crest. But they are hard to come by. Really nice quality polish can be pretty hard to come by at all. It really just depends on what you are aiming for in your own flock. Many people mix and match when breeding for themselves because they like the variety of colors that are created. Serious breeders looking to breed to the SOP keep like colors together to breed true

I wouldn't recommend breeding the blue roo over your khaki and chocolate hens. The blue and chocolate genes can co-exist in a bird making it neither color. I had a hen like this once. She looked khaki....til you put her beside a khaki, then she looked blue. It'll cause you headaches in the long run. If you plan to raise all these colors in one pen then go with a wc black male over wc khaki, wc chocolate, wc blue and wc cuckoo hens.

black x khaki = all chocolates
black x chocolate = blacks and chocolates
black x blue = blues and blacks
black x cuckoo = blacks and cuckoos

as you can see you won't get any splashes or khakis in the offspring. You'd need to set up a different broodpen to do that.

How do you breed to make a cuckoo in the first place?
Buy some !
roll.png
I would think that you would need to introduce barring from a different breed if you do not have a Polish with barring. Noisy Chickens has or had beautiful barred Polish.

Back
Top Bottom