I have to talk POLISH!

My little girls are growing up! Petal and big bird

The ages shown in those photos of the birds whose genders are in question is when the shiny feathers should start coming in. I can't remember the weeks exactly, but I'd definitely say it is beyond 4 weeks, probably beyond 5 weeks. It's pretty much when they are all feathered in.

Bantam and LF standards are the same far as I remember, but I'm not much of a bantam researcher honestly. Answering on the bantam flock. I say get yourself the Standard of Perfection, weigh your birds, and see who's closest to the weight. They shouldn't be small as you can go, no, they should be just right. If you've got birds over and/or under, you might want to calculate every other aspect of theirs and see if the farthest from the standard bird also has the worst weight. See what options are out there for replacement, or if you want to do so yet.

Well mine are 5.5 months old and I haven't seen squatting, nut did find a very small white egg. Either one of my Polish laid her first egg or one of the Leghorns pooted.

Leghorns are reported to be early layers. I have a Legbar which is a breed developed in UK which has leghorn in their mix and she layed at 6 months. But I would say that there are many factors such as breeding and time of season which determine when a bird will start laying eggs. I have heard stories about some birds being 30 weeks and more before they have started. One good point in those birds who start producing eggs late is that they usually lay longer. Polish in my experience are some where in between as far as timing.

Well two of my polish were already laying when I got them and the other two are about 15 weeks and not laying. I would estimate around 20 weeks.

I'm just waiting to see if I get another one before I give one of the polish girls credit for it. I haven't seen either in the nest boxes. This egg was about the size of a quail egg. My Leghorns are older and been laying for several months now, but I suspect it was a blooper from one of them. I do think its about time for my Polish to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom