I might have found THE puppy!!!

Cornychick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Sebastian County, AR
I am so excited! I have been on the hunt for the perfect 2nd dog for our household. I have been searching, posting, pound hopping, adoption event going till I am exhasted & defeated. But there was a listing this morning and I am meeting someone this morning to look at some Aussie puppies. Keep your fingers crossed that I find "the one"!!
fl.gif

We split out time between town & the farm. We have a treadmill to help out with the cabin fever that our 'labrapitt' is kind enough to share with us when he's had his fill.
wink.png

Quote:
We have a Mini Aussie.
love.gif
He's a handful! Bear in mind that while many dogs need physical exercise to keep them happy (your labrapitt, for example), Aussies, Border Collies and other working dogs need MENTAL exercise. If you don't give them activities to keep there minds entertained, they WILL think up their own. And they can become the evil masterminds of the canine world.

I am NOT trying to discourage you from getting a working breed - LOVE mine - just trying to prepare you.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Ditto about keeping them busy. I work at a vet clinic and we gets lots of complaints from clients who get working dogs and expect them to be happy staying in the house all day while they are at work. We had one lady who's Aussie chewed through the wall and the siding of the house to get outside.

Oh my goodness! Yes, working dogs need a job. In fact, if you don't give them a job they can be destructive. If you think that giving working dogs a job is mean, your wrong. Dogs like that have been bred to do work, and they are happy doing work. We are training our German Sheperd to watch our chickens while our chickens free range. Good luck and God bless you in your endeavors!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hey that is what our GSD does, she is awsome at it!! Just have to find the right bloodlines.

As for Aussies,

Aussies RULE!!! With that being said, the problem is they are the CUTEST pups in my humble opinion (course don't look at my website).

So being so cute is a double edge sword, they are EXTREMELY intelligent and you should go to ASCA or MASCA to look at the temperment requirements. They need LOTS of socialization!!!!!!! We take pups out in baby stollers at the park to get them used to things and keep them off the ground still. (Crazy I know).

As for jobs, they need a lot of mental stimulation right off the bat. Our pups at 8 weeks, know sit, stay and usually some sort of trick. We have one that his sole job is to round up the chickens, we have one trained to herd our cows, we have one trained to herd up the kids, and so on and so on.

They need training and a pack mentality. Or they will rule your house, your life and your guests. Now with that being said a well trained aussie, ya just can't beat it!!!!!!
smile.png

Well...I got her!!!! I am going to look into possibly doing agility with her. My kids are quickly growing up and I deserve to have time for an activity of my own now. We have no cattle yet, just birds and rabbits so nothing to herd. I am going to post pics for you so you can see that she is the most beautiful puppy that was ever born. (already biased of course!)

Back
Top Bottom