I need desperate help with a broody Muscovy duck

barbarella5000

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
I have 5 muscovy ducks. 3 females and 2 drakes. I have one little female, monkey, that has been brooding for over a month. She's not even sitting on an egg. I keep food and water next to her so she's eating. I tried removing her nest and she gets quite upset. When I kick her out of the coop she just paces back and forth trying to get back in and the other ducks pick on her. Do I just stick with the tough love? I just don't know what to do. Can anybody help?

This is what works for my chickens. When one goes broody I place it in a small all metal dog kennel. I put a 4x4 in the kennel for the bird to sit on because the metal bottom is uncomfortable to walk on. I also place food and water in it. The kennel is placed inside the run so the food and water is close to the 4x4 and far enough away from the outside so the other chickens can't get to it. I leave the hen in there for the entire day. At night when all the chickens have gone into the coop I take the broody hen out of the kennel and place her in the coop with the other birds. This works every time. Have recommended this to friends and it works for them as well. So, not sure exactly how it would work for a duck but just a suggestion to try. The kennel is about 2' x 3' x 3'.

Nobody bothers her when she's in the coop sitting on her nest. I'm trying to get her off of the Nest. She's just sitting there on nothing. After a month that just can't be good. They harass her when I throw her out of the coop.

welcome-byc.gif

Please check with the duck keepers over on the link Yorkshire coop provided you with. I'm not sure broody busters are the thing for ducks (maybe, I just don't know). You're right, it's not healthy for her to continually sit on an empty nest.

Good luck to you!

An alternative to breaking a broody, is to get a couple fertile eggs from somewhere and put them under her at night. Do make sure she eats, drinks and poos, or she can starve to death. You have to physically remove her from her nest and put her outside to do her duty.

Or maybe you could just give her an egg or two (chicken, duck, whatever and see if she takes to sitting on them? If so in a couple days maybe you could put a baby duckling and give it to her. She may think one egg hatched and the other did not. Who knows what birds are thinking.

Back
Top Bottom