I think I picked a cockeral! Maybe three! Oops...

micheleomal

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Eastern Idaho
I picked out three 8 week old chicks this weekend. They are all mixed. There were 2 roosters in the flock, a Cochin mix and a Marans mix. Moms were all purebreds of various breeds. The first picture is a Marans hen x Cochin mix roo, "she" has feathers on feet like the roo. There were other chicks that had these markings with larger combs and wattles, so I picked the one with the smallest. Now I'm wondering if I just got a slow blooming cockerel instead of a pullet.

This is an "americauna" x with either the marans or cochin roo. No leg feathering, does have muffs. Trying to figure out sex on this one as well. Very small comb but now I'm reading that EE mixes are hard to sex so I tried to show posture and feathers.

Third bird is perhaps a blue orpington mix with either rooster. Very small comb.

If the EE mix had a straight comb, does that mean brown eggs (if she is actually a she)

Group shot. They are all the same size, feet all look the same size, EE has a slightly longer tail. Any ideas of sexes on these three? I hope I didn't end up picking all cockerals...as you can tell I am new at this. Input greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I had a sneaking suspicion but if they are all the same age, wouldn't the boy be larger? The woman I got them from seemed sure of their age.

You give me some hope but you seem to be outnumbered. Can you tell me why you think they are 3 pullets and not one roo and 2 pullets. I'm actually a little worried about the EE too. The tail is longer and the feathers look more pointed. Could just be an optical illusion with the penciling. I'm trying not to get too attached...just in case. Even though there are no regulations against roosters in town, I think my neighbors might not think me a good neighbor if I kept a rooster.

This a 8week rooster look at the comb and the tail end. Hope this helps the res are hens no dought. Please keep me updated. Thanks. They are nice birds. Maby a pic with difrent angle.

Thanks for the pic. There were others in the pen that looked like your pic which is why I went with the one with the smallest comb. I will hold onto him/her now and see what happens. I was just about to call someone I know with chickens to try to rehome. Now I'll wait a bit. I'll repost in a few weeks if it is still unclear to me. Thanks again. I'm glad the others are pullets. They are pretty birds.

Back
Top Bottom