casportpony

🦚🦆🦃🐔
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
According to the source below, the ibuprofen dose for ducks is 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. One of my friends saw the vet recently and their vet prescribed the more conservative amount, so that is the amount I would recommend.

ibuprofen_1.png

Using the children's formula below I would give 0.11 ml per pound of body weight orally twice a day. This dose is for products that say 100 mg per 5 ml or 20 mg per ml.
ibuprofen_2.jpg

If using this infants one (50 mg per 1.25 ml) the dose would be ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day.
ibuprofen 40 mg_ml.png

Disclaimer
Always check my math!

Also see this:
Aspirin Dose for Ducks and Ducklings

Last edited:
According to the source below, the ibuprofen dose for ducks is 5-10 mg/kg 2-3 times a day. One of my friends saw the vet recently and their vet prescribed the more conservative amount, so that is the amount I would recommend.

View attachment 1770556

Using the children's formula below I would give 0.11 ml per pound of body weight orally twice a day. This dose is for products that say 100 mg per 5 ml or 20 mg per ml.
View attachment 1770555

If using this infants one (50 mg per 1.25 ml) the dose would be ~0.06 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day.
View attachment 1770577

Disclaimer
Always check my math!

Also see this:
Aspirin Dose for Ducks and Ducklings
Hi
I know this thread is old but I have a problem. My duck’s ankle is a bit swollen and she limps, we did an xray thankfully there’s nothing wrong with the bone. Also the vet said it’s not an infection. She prescribed Piroxicam, I have no idea if it has veterinary usage. Have you by any chance heard of it?

Piroxicam
is a non-selective NSAID used for is anti-inflammatory properties as well as its value as a chemopreventative and anti-tumor agent. It has a much higher potency against COX-1 than COX-2. Piroxicam has good oral bioavailability and a long half-life in mammals but PD and PK studies have not been done in any avian species. Despite the high incidence of negative side effects of piroxicam used in humans, there are no reports of its toxicity in birds. It has been used clinically at doses of 1 mg/kg PO every 12 to 24 hours for long-term treatment of chronic arthritis in cranes.
Source:
https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/arti...s-part-1-non-steroidal-anti-inflamatory-drugs

Back
Top Bottom