Icelandic Chickens

I hope it lives without seeing mo' hawk
lau.gif
... sorry couldn't resist

AAARRRAGH !!!

clap.gif

Thats going to be one gorgeous rooster !

Another nice thing about Icelandics is that they respond so well to gentling.

Hi all Icelandic chicken keepers. I am really interested to hear about your experience with your pullets and hens. About how many eggs a week to they lay, when not broody of course? And what is the size of the eggs? From what I've read, I think they are about medium size. Are any of yours cosistently laying large eggs? And, do your pullets/hens weigh about 5 pounds?

We have a free range flock and the Icelandics seem like the perfect free range type chicken to add to our flock. But it would really be helpful to know what your experiences are.

Thanks a lot.

Hi all Icelandic chicken keepers. I am really interested to hear about your experience with your pullets and hens. About how many eggs a week to they lay, when not broody of course? And what is the size of the eggs? From what I've read, I think they are about medium size. Are any of yours cosistently laying large eggs? And, do your pullets/hens weigh about 5 pounds?

We have a free range flock and the Icelandics seem like the perfect free range type chicken to add to our flock. But it would really be helpful to know what your experiences are.

Thanks a lot.

I have 4 hens, they are very consistent layers of medium sized eggs. I'm getting about 5 a week per hen. I have a couple of girls that approach large sized eggs. They are fast molters as well. Mine usually only quit laying for a little over 2 months before they are back at it. One hen molted while she was raising babies - when she was done raising babies, she started laying again.

Icelandics are very stubborn (read my signature) and escape artists. They would do very well in a free range environment. They are on the smaller side of Large Fowl, roughly buttercup size. I don't weigh my birds, so can't help you there.

Hi JerryR, mine free range all the time and do well at it. They are a smaller bird, but lay a good size egg for their small stature. I really can't tell you how many eggs they lay, cause half the time I can't find them :) They have a great temperment and even the roosters get along pretty well. I have a high rooster to hen ratio ( almost 1:2) in that barn right now, because I couldn't stand to eat all the pretty Icleandic roosters! I suppose I'll have to do something about that come spring or the hens will all be naked.

I have my first eggs in the new incubator as of last night...lost track of how many of what but there's more than 2 dozen icees in there!!! Can't wait for spring!!

Back
Top Bottom