Idaho?

Pics
Hi Ted
smile.png

I checked at Big R, that's where I purchased my base heater for my metal 5 gallon waterer for $44.00. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything smaller in stock. I'll check agin. And at the CoOp. I'll give them a call too. Thank you for the suggestion. Found a home for your Jack Russells yet?

Hello from SE Idaho.

New here and to chickens. I got a few older hens about a month ago, and added 3 youngsters last week.

Hoping to add some chicks from Shawn in the spring!
big_smile.png

If I can get an incubator (shopping) I also hope get some eggs from my friend in Michigan next spring.

Wondering how much of my barn to give over to the chickens! And who to move (horses or goats) to make room for an attached run out of the side of the barn?

And should I convert my 9 acres of hay to chicken grazing?
tongue.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

IcyOldHen, what kind of chickens do you have? And a word of warning: those incubators can be totally addicting. I love my Hovabator Genesis 1588, and I love to shop the egg auctions, trying out the different breeds has been fun. I can sit and watch those eggs open for hours with my nose smashed up against the glass on the top of the bator. Such little miracles coming out of those shells! The only drawback is, unless you can sell them all - or house them all, you will have multiple chicken coops around your yard. If that's not a problem, then go for it!!!

Last edited:
My 2 year olds include 3 barred rocks, a black australorp, a red sex-link. I recently added a 6 month old RIR and two 5 month old silkies.

Next year I plan to get some Icelandics!
smile.png
But I'll need to either get an incubator or get chicks from thebirdguy. Or both!

Yes, I can quite easily see me sitting for hours (days!) watching a hatch!

I built a barn a couple years ago. So far it's only been used for the occasional cold goat, my lawn mower & 4 wheeler, and a huge stack of mohair. This year I bought my tractor back so it's now in there too and my new chickens. But the scary part is there's lots of room for more chickens!
big_smile.png

I wasn't even going to put the chickens in the barn, but rather in an outside run with a coop. But my husband (who has had chickens before) knew better than me and set up a run in the barn before I got home with them. I'm glad he did as I enjoy taking care of them, keeping their run clean and just watching them. This would not be nearly as fun outside in the weather!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Hi!

Where did you get your waterer and how much was it, if I may ask?l

I have been lurking on this thread for some time, North Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho are places we have been looking to move to.

I built my waterer. I used a 5 gallon bucket with 3 to 4 nipples on the bottom. In the winter I put a 250 watt stock tank heater inside.
Here is a video I made about my waterer http://youtu.be/9taEWC0Wsnk

Once
it get in the teens here I will be making another video on how well it preforms in cold weather.

HTH

Last edited:
Only chickens I have left are my Lavender, blue and black orps and 3 black silkies. I have them in my insulated 8x8 shed with a heater and light. I only have about 12 so should be plenty of room.

If anyone knows a person that needs a hug incubator I have 2 GQF cabinet models that I would like to swap for something smaller.

I built my waterer. I used a 5 gallon bucket with 3 to 4 nipples on the bottom. In the winter I put a 250 watt stock tank heater inside.
Here is a video I made about my waterer http://youtu.be/9taEWC0Wsnk

Once
it get in the teens here I will be making another video on how well it preforms in cold weather.

HTH

I just ordered the nipples yesterday to do the same!

I'm hoping the heater will keep the nipples from freezing up when it's real cold.

But I figure that is how I want to water them in the warmer weather anyhow so... win win if it works, no loss if it doesn't.​

Back
Top Bottom