Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
Whew! It's great that you did track them so you knew they arrived. Glad your peeps are alive and well! Mine are 10 days old at this point and they are doing really nicely. Wing feathers and little tail-butt feathers all growing in! I hope you enjoy your fuzzy little babies as much as I'm enjoying mine.

There is a tracking number, however, often it only tells when it left our facility and when it arrives to you.

Thank you,

Teri

Whew! It's great that you did track them so you knew they arrived. Glad your peeps are alive and well! Mine are 10 days old at this point and they are doing really nicely. Wing feathers and little tail-butt feathers all growing in! I hope you enjoy your fuzzy little babies as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Oh I am, I just wish they stayed this small!

There is a tracking number, however, often it only tells when it left our facility and when it arrives to you.

Thank you,

Teri
I found that info to be helpful - it was good to know when they hatched, and what time they were shipped and arrived in Boston. It was a pleasant surprise that the shipment had been so direct and quick. And the post office on this end was great - they called the minute the chicks got there.

I got some chicks from ideal three weeks ago. I ordered eight, and there were also nine males for warmth. I sold all the males, and had two chicks die leaving me with six... of course the two that died were right after the guarantee ended.
The remaining chicks are doing well though! I have three Madagascar Games, one Modern Game (she's got such short legs though! Terrible quality), a jersey giant, and a golden laced cochin.

Madagascars (I love these chicks!)

Jersey Giant

Cochin

Modern Game Bantam

Roosters

Ideal's Polish sure have small crests. Some of mine barely show that they even have a crest. They sure will make some nice mixed chickens.

Update

Two weeks in, one of the 30 chicks developed symptoms of epidemic tremor. The means some of Ideal's stock has the virus and transmits it through the hens' eggs. So far, the other 29 are looking healthy, but I had to cull the one chick when it was obvious his legs were paralyzed in the textbook ET way.

Three weeks: I ordered 8 Silver Sebright chicks from Ideal. They all arrived healthy and perky without extra males for warmth. Ideal put two extra SS chicks in. After looking over my invoice, I noticed that they had not charged me for Marek's vaccine and I confirmed via telephone that it had been missed. I think they have to re-enter your order if you request insurance/no males for warmth, and it was skipped over on my final order. This disappointed me, as I was adding them to an existing flock and Sebrights are supposed to be especially susceptible to Marek's. (Not to mention I've found a robin and a crow mysteriously dead in the yard in the last 24 hours...We've had some nasty thunderstorms with high winds, and the crow may have gotten caught in the run/aviary and been too waterlogged to escape the duck pool, but it still made me nervous with chicks in the house and ducklings due any day.)

I was not expecting very high quality, so I'm still satisfied to have some pretty banties for the yard.

Flaws in the chicks: ALL of the chicks have one or more pink toes on each foot. This may disappear with a bit of age, but I was hoping to be able to mark at least one with all blue feet in case I want to set some eggs and improve my flock in the future. One of the chicks has a cross beak which was barely noticeable from day two, but it's worsening and will need to be culled.

They are in a brooder with 4 Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks that are a week younger and the SLW have just started to look noticeably bigger this week. They are still young, but I'm guessing that they will probably be a bit larger than the SS standard. I have noticed two or three chicks that look to have pretty clean lacing on their juvenile wing feathers. I'll post again a few weeks down the road.

Back
Top Bottom