Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
Would NOT order from them again!
Ordered from them in September. Many dead or dying chicks on arrival. Replacement chicks didn't come for over 2 months and they were not the chicks I wanted. I had to get rid of 22 packing peanut chicks, 2 were dead and smelling bad on the bottom of the box. Lost 3 of the bantams also. I think it is hit and miss on the shipping, you take your chances. I don't believe the chicks are only 1 day old when shipped, they have too many feathers, and I think this causes issue during shipping.

Quality of the breed is poor. Some photos show an inset of Ideals photo of what the adults will look like. They don't match with what Ideal sent me.

I also ended up with 83% Roosters 17% Hens on Straight Run orders. That is Drat!, average is 50%! Ideal sexed those chick and sent me 83% roosters!!!

My white with black crested top hats are anything but white with black crests! Not one is white with a black crest though one is white with spots and a black crest and neck, the other 2 in photos are not anything close to what they are suppose to be.
44883_top_hats.png
inset photo is off Ideals website;

This is suppose to be a Milli Fleur d Uccle Bantam, where is the multicolor patterns?
44883_2011-03-20_048.jpg

This is a Milli Fleur d Uccle Bantam, at least it has colors and spots
44883_2011-03-20_029.jpg

and these are the saddest looking Sultans I have ever seen!
44883_sultans_compared.png

White Frizzled Cochins, only got one that actually looks frizzled, the rest look like plain old white cochins, very pretty white cochins but not frizzled!
44883_2011-03-20_039.jpg

I ordered a dozen dutch bantams and 1 duckling in Feb with a delivery date of March. They arrived with very little straw packing - all to one side and not by chicks- and no packing peanuts for warmth. upon arrival, 6 were dead and the rest barely alive. By the next day, 3 more died. I did get a refund. I do believe the 3 that survived are roos. Not sure if I will order from them again.

Quote:
Albanydog - I am sorry to hear about your experience.
hugs.gif

For future postings, try to remember that this is a family and kid friendly forum, so BS should not be spelled out.

I asked Ross at Ideal about sexing Polish and Bantams and he stated they do not have the ability to sex those!

I too, wish Ideal would put pictures of the actual parent stock instead of the drawn pictures, but they state "color pattern has not yet been stabilized, but with each generation more birds approach the requirements of the Standard" on the Black Crested White Polish.

On the D'uccles they state "Our bantams are purebred and represent the breed and variety; however, we do not guarantee or represent that they are of show quality."

I look at hatchery birds as a "raw material", refining through selective breeding and culling is required in order to get good quality birds, but Ideal's price is right! $2-3 each! I know I sure can't afford to buy SQ birds from breeders!

Also, on the frizzles, they do state that the frizzle gene does not breed true. They state that approx. 1/4 of the offspring will be non-frizzled, but you seem to have gotten the opposite! Seems like the same thing happened with your Straight Run odds!

I think the "50%" odds are skewed on smaller straigh run orders.
hu.gif

I ordered S/R Longtail assortment and S/R Polish assorted and got more pullets than roos on both assortments! I ordered 25 S/R assorted bantams, they shipped 26, but 2 died in transit. I got 12 pullets and 12 roos to the best of my knowledge! I sold most of the roos as soon as they started causing trouble, but I think all of the trouble makers were boys!

No, I don't work for Ideal and I receive no compensation of any kind for my statements about them! I am a very satisfied customer who read LOTS of reviews BEFORE ordering and still ordered despite ALL the negative reviews I read! I think people have a tendency to NOT report the good experiences and only report the bad things! I have had chicks die in transit from Ideal, but they were refunded or replaced. I have had errors on my orders, but they made it right when I reported it! I have a great variety of chickens solely because Ideal sells a lot of varieties for VERY reasonable prices!

IdealisticRoo, with a name like that one would think you were an Ideal spokesperson, had you not stated otherwise...........

I read Ideals blurb about the Black Crested White Polish not being stabilized yet but never did I dream they would sell birds that were so far off from their description! They need to sell them as Misc Polish and not lie about their color and tell you they are something they clearly are not!

My Frizzled Cochins are beautiful birds and I know the description said "frizzle gene does not breed true" but I am wondering now, after the wild colors with the" black & white" Polish and my beautiful Rooster that no one can identify, if the birds are actual even Frizzled at all? Given my experience with Ideal thus far I have to wonder if when the chicks come I will find out they are not only not frizzled but they won't even breed true to color? I certainly can't count on their offspring being anything but crossbreeds (Mutts) because Ideal can't be trusted!

Ross also told me, as an excuse as to why I ended up with 83% males that "they are too small at hatch to sex". Unfortunately, given my experience with them and the fact that other breeders sex their bantams, I do not believe him and the odds are on my side..... Ross has not given me explanation as to why the birds look so different from their pictures and descriptions (as you, a non-Ideal employee attempted) when they are suppose to be beautiful "purebred" birds, nor has he identified the ones that don't look like any of the birds I ordered. Can anyone identify this Roo?
44883_2011-03-20_048.jpg

As replacements for all the dead chicks, sent 2 months later, they could not send me the exact replacements (though they were still available according to their website) except for the Silver Sebrights so they sent a mix of Bantam Special and Assorted Cochins. Of those that survived the second shipping I ended up with one Silver Sebright, one Golden Sebright and 3 Black Cochins. Silly me thinking I might actually end up with even one of the beautiful and unusual birds they have pictured. Of course, why would they show you pictures of your average everyday birds when they can show you pictures of beautiful, colorful and showy birds all frizzled, mottled and long tailed to get you to order them and give them a chance to get rid of their plain Jane leftovers! Pooh!
44883_assorted_chicks.png

Ideals description of the birds above: "Bantam Special is the hatchery's choice of Pure Bred Bantams, which have not been sold as specific breed bantams and have not been used in other assortments. A nice variety of bantams will be included in this special" and "Purchasing this assortment will allow customers to have more varieties of Cochin Bantams at a reduced price". I am sorry but 3 black Cochins is not a" variety"! Not one of the birds I got are pictured here, that's pretty deceiving in my book!

Overall it is just very disappointing that you order these chicks and expect them to arrive healthy and to grow up to be beautiful purebred birds and you end up with sick, dead chicks that grow up to look like a bunch of mutts and some you can't even identify. Ideal needs to change their descriptions, they are lying to the public! There must be some governing body who can force them to change their deceiving descriptions and photos so others don't continue getting ripped off! Hmmm, I may have a new quest!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I am sorry for your loss. Yet another sad story of chicks DOA and Ideal told me only yesterday they "stand by their shipping practices" so it will continue to be story told over and over again
sad.png

What do you suppose the odds are that only the females died? More proof in my book that Ideal Poultry is sexing their bantams and shipping a higher then average number of roosters to their mail order customers.

Back
Top Bottom