Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
WOW !!! Doesn't get any better then this. My post was meant to say how VERY pleased I am with the quality of the chicks.
I am a retired USPS rural carrier and I know that the DOA's are from the USPS handling and delays and not the quality of the chicks.
It used to be the truck driver delivering the mail to rural post offices would put chicks in the cab of the truck with him to keep them warm. But a new contractor started hauling mail and refuses to let the chicks in the cab, (says they are "too noisy"...of course they are peeping...they are cold, put them in the cab and they will warm up and shut up.)
For how stressed my survivors had to be by the shipping stress, they have done remarkably well.
Thank you for being such an involved and concerned hatchery owner.

Glad to see there is another thread. Will try to hunt it down. I look at the Ideal web site 2-3 times a week. Frustrated by the lack of dates and worried they will sell out quickly like last year.

When I compare prices side by side with the other hatcheries, Ideal has the best prices. I've ordered from Ideal and MPC. I liked the birds from Ideal the best and their customer service is about the same. They got here in 1 day from Ideal, 2 days from MPC.

I left a "notify me when available" message the other day on a breed I want, and within a few days, Ideal called me. I wasn't ready to order that day, but the lady on the phone was really nice and gave me instructions as to when is the best day to call back so I can have my order delivered at the time I would like it to come. I thought that was really nice.

To the folks who lost chicks en route through the post office, I am so sorry for your losses! Hugs to you. It's hard when you lose chicks, especially when you're counting on having them. There tend to be less DOAs when the weather is more cooperative... maybe wait until it gets a little closer to spring before placing your next order? I dunno, just a thought.

Either way, good luck to you all & hope it works out. :)

I would love to order 50 feather legged bantams this week, but worry about the weather....it will be high in the 50's and low in the 20's...any thoughts on whether or not they will survive the trip?
to Southwest South Dakota

I have an order that is supposed to be shipped to me Feb. 15. I can't wait to get my 29 chicks. I ordered silver kraienkoppe, sumatras, dark cornish, silver phoenix, and black langshans. I will post pictures when I get them.

I just had my order for Feb. 29th confirmed today
yesss.gif
. I got all but one of my picks, not bad!
Here is my mixed up bunch
big_smile.png

Chicks (Pullets)
1 Ideal 236, 1 Production Black, 1 Blue Hamburg, 1 Golden Lakenvelder, 1 Black Sex Link, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Delaware, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 5 Ameraucanas, & 1 Barred Cochin
Chicks (Other)
1 Ameraucana Male & 5 Assorted Silkies
Ducks (Females)
1 Blue Swedish, 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Snowy Mallard, & 1 Rouen
Geese (Females)
1 Brown African & 1 Gray Saddleback Pomeranian

I can't wait until they get here
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
Can you tell I'm excited
big_smile.png

I would love to order 50 feather legged bantams this week, but worry about the weather....it will be high in the 50's and low in the 20's...any thoughts on whether or not they will survive the trip?
to Southwest South Dakota

Each of us has to do what we have to do, but there's NO WAY on God's green earth I'd order chicks to be shipped this time of year, ESPECIALLY in places like the Dakotas. And ESPECIALLY bantams.

That's just asking for a bunch of DOA's. Remember, mail trucks are not climate-controlled, and the chicks will most likely suffer some degree of hypothermia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom