Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
I have a few welsummer hens from Ideal and I'm impressed with the color of their eggs - I was not expecting something that nice and dark from hatchery hens.

Some Pictures of Ideal Poultry's Bantams, all Cochins except one:

This is my current flock: 4 bantam Cochins and one Easter Egger, all from Ideal Poultry.

The buff in the front photo isn't mine anymore. A friend's chicken was lonely and needed a buddy. She was kind of homely looking, but very friendly and a good mama hen. She made a good chicken friend, too.

An 8 week old golden laced cochin bantam cockerel from a bantam assortment.

A partridge bantam cochin pullet from the same bantam assortment from Ideal Poultry in July 2011. 8 weeks old

My son's white bantam white cochin pullet from Ideal. About 8 months old in the photo.

My neighbor's Buff Frizzled Bantam Cochin pullet, also from Ideal Poultry. She is really petite and constantly goes broody. She is about 8 months old in the photo.

The "Bantam" Easter Egger. She is a little big for a bantam. She weighs about 3 1/2 lbs, but not near as big as my neighbor's large fowl breeds.

These are a sample of the eggs we are getting. The green one in the photo was the EE's first egg. Most of our cochin eggs are between 1.2 - 1.5 oz. The EE is now laying around 1.6 oz and she has only been laying since mid Dec.

Last edited:
Is it true Ideal was/is running a Polish chick Special? $1.00 each?
Are they still running it?

It is a Crested Special St. Run at least 25 chicks for $1.25 each (could include: Crevecoeurs, Mottled Houdans, Sultans and Black Crested White, Buff Laced, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, White Crested Blue Polish and White Crested Black Polish) it is for Feb. 1st hatch only. I must resist
fl.gif
I have to many chicks coming as it is!

It is a Crested Special St. Run at least 25 chicks for $1.25 each (could include: Crevecoeurs, Mottled Houdans, Sultans and Black Crested White, Buff Laced, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, White Crested Blue Polish and White Crested Black Polish) it is for Feb. 1st hatch only. I must resist
fl.gif
I have to many chicks coming as it is!

Sorry I think you missed it Draye.
The $1.00 each was just a very short 1 day special via email last week. I got that email on 1/24 and it said they would ship on 1/25 and they would only take the order via phone. Last week was the only time I have gotten an email from them about that specific special/ at that price. I was just like Yoie, and was soooooo very tempted to get it, but all day I kept telling myself "I really don't need any big chickens, no matter have cool they are." It was hard not calling them last week since I had a broody hen.

This week the price went up a little on most of their specials. But $1.25 each chick is still a good price, in my opinion. I couldn't help myself when I got the email again yesterday. I saw the assorted bantam cochin special for $1.25 each. I have never gotten exclusively cochins for less than $1.50 each. I broke down and called. They should be here by Friday.

Last edited:
Each of us has to do what we have to do, but there's NO WAY on God's green earth I'd order chicks to be shipped this time of year, ESPECIALLY in places like the Dakotas. And ESPECIALLY bantams.

That's just asking for a bunch of DOA's. Remember, mail trucks are not climate-controlled, and the chicks will most likely suffer some degree of hypothermia.
Yes, you are correct..I was a rural carrier for many years and the contract driver that delivered mail to our post office would always keep baby chick boxes in the cab of the truck to keep them warm...now...they don't....if they were in the cab of the truck, they would survive...but in the unheated box, you are right, they don't make it...we had a warm spell this week in the 50's and I REALLY wanted to order some chicks, but appreciate your advice and passed on ordering. I will wait till spring and pay a little more, but it is worth it to not have a box of dead chicks...Thanks again for your words of advice...(I am new to ordering chicks, I ordered three times in the fall with one great outcome, one not so good, and one all doa.)

Hey y'all, today was Duck Delivery Day and I am excited! Lol. I've been playing with them all morning. I took advantage of Ideal's weekly special at $2.00 a duck I couldn't resist! All arrived safe, none DOA! This is the second year in a row that I've ordered from then with out any problems. Anyways I'm here to show off LOL
yippiechickie.gif

With the warmer weathers we are having, just be mindful about how the weather will be like in the forecast. Its better to either go ahead or call ahead to cancel the order if you need to because TX may be nice weather while in NY, its snowing.

With the warmer weathers we are having, just be mindful about how the weather will be like in the forecast. Its better to either go ahead or call ahead to cancel the order if you need to because TX may be nice weather while in NY, its snowing.

Yes, it is so tempting to order when the weather is so nice, but it can change overnight....I will be waiting till a little further into the spring.

So cute
love.gif
I can't wait for my order it's coming at the end of the month. I have chicks, ducklings, and goslings coming. But that last one with the poof is just to die for
th.gif

Hey y'all, today was Duck Delivery Day and I am excited! Lol. I've been playing with them all morning. I took advantage of Ideal's weekly special at $2.00 a duck I couldn't resist! All arrived safe, none DOA! This is the second year in a row that I've ordered from then with out any problems. Anyways I'm here to show off LOL
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom