Ideas for dog kennel pen roof to keep rain out needed! Please!!

Missi

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Naples, FL
I am clueless. I've scoured Google. Nothing!

This is regarding a roof to keep rain water out of the pen as I already have heavy gauge welded wire attached to keep predators out. I have been using a tarp for a few months. I have to replace it every couple months. Every time it rains, I have to push the pen top wire up to dump the rain water off. Eventually the tarp gets worn & water drips into the pen while I'm at work during the day. I'm sick of my chickens having a soggy pen floor. Unfortunately my hubby & I are not handy at all & have no power tools but I suppose we could rent some. This is where I need you handy peoples ideas! Please share ideas for me to build a permanent roof for my chain link dog kennel chicken pen (an odd size, 10' x 12'-ish.). Pics would definitely be appreciated, too. I'm a visual learner
caf.gif

What about something like this? Elevate one side slightly with 2x6s so the rain drains off. An alternative would be the same, but with 4x4 posts instead of fixing the roof to the kennel itself.

What about something like this? Elevate one side slightly with 2x6s so the rain drains off. An alternative would be the same, but with 4x4 posts instead of fixing the roof to the kennel itself.
These are really great plans!! Thank you so much!

I took a 4x4 and ran it across, then put some small pieces of 4x4 on top of that so I have enough pich for the snow we get here, screwed those to the first, I then put 2x6 for rafters every thing that touches the metal frame is held to it with giant zip ties I got at work, 5ft long and 1/2" wide very strong, haven't had any problems with the wind or snow, across the top I took strapping screwed it to the 2x6 so you can attach the roofing to the strapping, got everything from home depot, it comes in different colors I used solar gray.

Missi, thanks for asking this question. I'm going to have to figure something out too. Jetdog and calomel thanks for the ideas.

I would like to try and build this roof on my dog kennels. How did you attach the back(lower sloped side). Also how do you attach the 4x4 to the 2x6's. Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom