Ideas on how to introduce feral pigeons to a new roosting spot/shed?

ilikepigeons

Songster
Nov 11, 2021
New Zealand
I've got 3 feral birds and one rogue homer I feed, they nest in the large pine trees on my place currently. They get totally soaked and chilled in the bad weather and my poor rogue homer is trying (I doubt he'll be successful, the other two times he wasn't) to build a nest in the trees for the third time now.
I have two pigeons that have appear to like the large old farm shed I have, that is just used for storage. It has shelves, rafters ect that they could use as roosting spots, and it is 3 sided covered in, almost 4. I've got no problem with the pigeons using this, so I'd like to offer the feral birds the option to stay there if they want to.
I feed them pretty close yet not close to the shed, there's just a patch of dirt I put seed down for them on. I think the only way I can introduce them to the shed is to make them look at/inside it and I guess that would mean luring them down there with feed.
So the thing I'm asking, is how do I lure them down there?
I have sunflower seeds I use as treats that they go crazy for, if that help.

Have the shed open/accessible, and throw the seeds closer and closer to the interior of shed. You may have success also if you place nest making supplies, near the shed entrance, or inside. Supplies consist of small twigs, sticks, hay, grass blades,, and such. Pigeons do prefer to make nests on shelves, window sills, and other flat areas.

Back
Top Bottom