Illinois...

My early Easter chicks came out of the incubator and under their new mommies. I moved the hens into the house (which they didn't like), but in the darkness, they settled quickly. Both broody hens are still sharing.

So far 8 Orpingtons (lav & black) and 3 Seramas.
IMG_6736 (2).JPG
IMG_6735 (2).JPG

Headed on our long journey home tomorrow from Florida. I sorta wish I had a way to just move to the keys. I definitely feel in love with the area. There's a small private island for sale with access to the highway... lol.

Thanks for the best wishes for DS. He it's doing well. Aside from a grumpy start to the day that was likely due to his rough night at the ER, he was achamp today and had fun. DD also pulled through today and was on good behavior and having fun. As a special treat we had pizza for dinner since they were both so awesome. Now to bed so I'm well rested for the drive.
LOL having your own island would be great..... until the hurricane had you evacuating 😱
Glad everyone is well.
Have a safe trip home

The key is to be good at hard dogs. As a long term husky mom, they see me coming and beg me to take them because huskies are so hard to manage and place. When I just adopted the 2 new pups, I was looking for a bonded pair of female huskies. Found them in Cinncinatti and within 2 days of applying, we were there picking them up. They did call my vet (who gave me a glowing recommendation) but they couldn't do a home inspection since I am 2 states away and let's be honest, where else are they going to find someone who can and wants to take 2 bonded husky puppies!?

The easy breeds are so easy to place, you have to jump through hoops. If you get good at the hard ones, you have rescues looking for you!
I used to be up for hard ones, nowadays a calm dog is more my style.
Max, who I had March 2011 to April 2020, was a handful when I got him. He was 3, his owner had died, the widow couldn't handle him. He tried to drag me around. He did know basic commands, but ignored them at first. I had gotten him when I was on vacation so I could work with him. I took him to obedience class when I retired 2012, more for socializing with dogs. He was loved by all.
He ended up being a great dog.

SnootyHen

How did the newcomers settle in and getting along with the resident puppy??

They're doing great!! Kiara (brown eyes and pointed ears) is a little bit of a spitfire and has a hard time listening when she's geeked up on something but Luna (blue eyes and ears still dropping a little) is really following Sasha around and learning from her. They have learned their names, sit, down and stay and we're working on leave it now. In the house, they do great with all of those but outside is still a struggle because there's SO many fun things to do besides listening. I'm not sure Kiara is ever going to be chicken-safe but Luna has some real potential. She likes to sit and watch them (through the run) with Sasha and seems to just enjoy watching whereas Kiara wants to chase and yell at them still. At least she's stopped charging at the fence and yipping her little puppy yip at them so maybe slow progress? The beauty of having the older dog is that she's basically trained them where to sleep, where to poop and when to eat so once I got them to understand she's the boss of them, they fell in line. Although I am still up at least once in the middle of the night to let them outside but it beats cleaning pee in the morning!

They are just an endless supply of energy and I wish I could bottle it for myself!!!

PXL_20210321_132018621.jpg
PXL_20210321_184240396.jpg
PXL_20210321_184251845.jpg
PXL_20210323_213818443.jpg

Back
Top Bottom