Illinois...

I had one too. Old adage is time to plant potatoes when dandelion blooms
I just bought my seed potatoes and there's a dandelion or front. I now recall DS filled his bug catcher container with dandelions at my parents on Easter too.
Now if somebody would till and take out the large garden bed for me I could plant the potatoes. LOL! It's definitely my job, but I haven't felt like doing it. Too wet now anyway...

Funny. I was also picking dandelions on Sunday. I was plucking the bright yellow tops and feeding them to the hens. I don't like dandelions, but some of my girls do. LOL

My magnolia is in full bloom, so it looks like spring.
My hyacinths popped out, so it smells like spring.
My backyard is already flooded and it's still raining, so it feels (sucks your boots off) like spring.
Now we might get snow..... Yep. It's springtime in Chicago.

Weather sucks today... Silver lining is the few things I do have going on the garden already are getting watered.
I still haven't gotten more chicks... DW is against them, so I may just have to go rogue. Just worried about being gone for several days at a time when we go camping. We didn't camp in the past, but we have a camper now and like going there on the weekends as much as possible. Not keen on bringing chicks with us - a lot of wildlife at the campground and not so sure it would be appreciated by the association there. Anybody leave chocks for 2-3 days at a time? And often?

Weather sucks today... Silver lining is the few things I do have going on the garden already are getting watered.
I still haven't gotten more chicks... DW is against them, so I may just have to go rogue. Just worried about being gone for several days at a time when we go camping. We didn't camp in the past, but we have a camper now and like going there on the weekends as much as possible. Not keen on bringing chicks with us - a lot of wildlife at the campground and not so sure it would be appreciated by the association there. Anybody leave chocks for 2-3 days at a time? And often?
We have left for weekends with neighbors to check in.

Auto feeders and waterers with weekend capacity.
Secure coop & run. (no free range when we're away)

Do you have a neighborhood kid who likes chicks?

Once they're laying, it's really easy to find someone to swing by daily. Literally, just ask a neighbor to check food/water levels and grab eggs. Payment is whatever eggs are collected.

We have left for weekends with neighbors to check in.

Auto feeders and waterers with weekend capacity.
Secure coop & run. (no free range when we're away)

Do you have a neighborhood kid who likes chicks?

Once they're laying, it's really easy to find someone to swing by daily. Literally, just ask a neighbor to check food/water levels and grab eggs. Payment is whatever eggs are collected.
The adults I don't worry about for a few days as long as there's food and water. It's chicks in a brooder I'm concerned about leaving alone.

The adults I don't worry about for a few days as long as there's food and water. It's chicks in a brooder I'm concerned about leaving alone.
Reason to get chicks NOW,,, so they are grown when camping opportunities come your way. Other option,,,, get grown chickens. That is what I used to do when I stared. It as from the butcher shop. I took them home live. I only keep pets, and don't eat my chickens. Another reason was the rooster possibility with chicks.
You have a large coop, that you constructed. :thumbsup They should be fine for a few day, if you provide ample water, and feed.

Reason to get chicks NOW,,, so they are grown when camping opportunities come your way. Other option,,,, get grown chickens. That is what I used to do when I stared. It as from the butcher shop. I took them home live. I only keep pets, and don't eat my chickens. Another reason was the rooster possibility with chicks.
You have a large coop, that you constructed. :thumbsup They should be fine for a few day, if you provide ample water, and feed.
Going camping this weekend. 3rd time this year already. A bit late for "when camping opportunities come." LOL.

My 80s hair band hatched yesterday !

B5D4D4B7-EAE4-48BE-92D5-007836377F82.jpeg

The Spitzhauben eggs came from @homeschoolin momma

Back
Top Bottom