Illinois...

My crow collars are simply a decent self adhesive Velcro and wide ribbon for comfort. I’ll find one and take some pics.

They worked on my Orpingtons. Breeds that don’t crow as often. Wouldn’t work on my seramas (They are too tiny) or @homeschoolin momma ‘s Spitzhaubens ( too vocal)

The most important thing is proper adjustment. Too tight or too loose and you’ve got trouble.

Also a good semi sound dampening sleeping box in the garage. Let him spend the night and early morning in a shorter crate. Something that prevents him from standing tall and belting out a loud good morning at 4 AM.

Last edited:
@BReeder!
:lau
So after all this time, A’hole (your least favorite) still remains and even feeds you. Aren’t you glad your wife didn’t let you process her?

So what do your kids call her? I can just imagine the reaction of the preschool teacher when the chicken stories come out.
:eek:

Ours is Tyrion, a fearless EE hen (who we thought was a smaller cockerel until she laid an egg). She’s eleven but laid a few eggs already thi year.

Several of our oldest hens are showing their age. Tyrion has swollen tender feet.m and no longer has the energy to chase squirrels as she used to. Xansie (DDs silkie ) is around 8 and looks like a well worn stuffed animal. (Aka Veveteen rabbit )
They call her A'hole, pronounced ay-hole-ay. Lol. B3 recently asked why she's named that. I let him in on the story. My cousin who was present suggested he isn't quite old enough for all that language. As long as he doesn't repeat it we are good in my book. :) This is also the kid who said "Awwwwww shit" two weeks ago when I showed him an owl in a tree at the campground. I still tease him about that so he knows not to do it again. Of course he denies saying it.

My crow collars are simply a decent self adhesive Velcro and wide ribbon for comfort. I’ll find one and take some pics.

They worked on my Orpingtons. Breeds that don’t crow as often. Wouldn’t work on my seramas (They are too tiny) or @homeschoolin momma ‘s Spitzhaubens ( too vocal)

The most important thing is proper adjustment. Too tight or too loose and you’ve got trouble.

Also a good semi sound dampening sleeping box in the garage. Let him spend the night and early morning in a shorter crate. Something that prevents him from standing tall and belting out a loud good morning at 4 AM.
I definitely need to put a collar on this guy. He is quiet most of the time, but he likes to get on the today and stair or the back window over the fence and then crow at the sight of whatever he sees - probably the neighbor's two dogs.

I made directions somewhere on BYC - but of course don't know the link. Here's the directions for an orp collar.

Cut and melt ends of 1.5" wide ribbon to stop fraying
IMG_3231.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG

Adhere the soft part of 3/4" velcro to ribbon. The velcro should be a little longer (maybe 1" for large roo) You'll need to cut 2 pieces since ribbon is wide.
IMG_3233.JPG

Flip over and adhere the hook part of velcro. Snip/round any sharp edges.
IMG_3235.JPG
IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

That's it. Ribbon goes on inside. Should be able to fit a small pinky. Neck needs to be able to do very important things like drink, eat, move, cluck. Stay outside to watch him until you're sure he's safe. Any discolor to comb requires immediate removal. If it's not tight enough the crow may be higher pitch and longer (Think stretching neck of a balloon. Makes the crow worse! LOL) Feel crop at night to make sure he's eating

Anytime you add something unusual -like crow collar or hen saddle - the chicken will go crazy. Roosters run backwards and slam into things. Make sure he's not going to hurt himself in a tight space when you first put him down. When a hen starts looking at him funny, he usually straightens up and acts calmer.
IMG_3240.JPG

I made directions somewhere on BYC - but of course don't know the link. Here's the directions for an orp collar.

Cut and melt ends of 1.5" wide ribbon to stop fraying
View attachment 3800340View attachment 3800341

Adhere the soft part of 3/4" velcro to ribbon. The velcro should be a little longer (maybe 1" for large roo) You'll need to cut 2 pieces since ribbon is wide.
View attachment 3800342

Flip over and adhere the hook part of velcro. Snip/round any sharp edges.
View attachment 3800344View attachment 3800345
View attachment 3800346

That's it. Ribbon goes on inside. Should be able to fit a small pinky. Neck needs to be able to do very important things like drink, eat, move, cluck. Stay outside to watch him until you're sure he's safe. Any discolor to comb requires immediate removal. If it's not tight enough the crow may be higher pitch and longer (Think stretching neck of a balloon. Makes the crow worse! LOL) Feel crop at night to make sure he's eating

Anytime you add something unusual -like crow collar or hen saddle - the chicken will go crazy. Roosters run backwards and slam into things. Make sure he's not going to hurt himself in a tight space when you first put him down. When a hen starts looking at him funny, he usually straightens up and acts calmer.
View attachment 3800347
Well I can tell you it was 2015 when you posted pictures, but not what thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/no-crow-collar-idea.7086831/
Screenshot_20240413-135737.png

I scored this automatic chicken door on Temu for half price several days ago. I just installed it a bit ago and am very happy with it so far. It's programmable to open and close at specific times or sunrise/set. It's all metal and seems quite secure - certainly better than the many plastic ones I saw listed. I got it for any $30.

https://share.temu.com/n1rnRzKooIA
Screenshot_20240414_220306_Temu.jpg

I scored this automatic chicken door on Temu for half price several days ago. I just installed it a bit ago and am very happy with it so far. It's programmable to open and close at specific times or sunrise/set. It's all metal and seems quite secure - certainly better than the many plastic ones I saw listed. I got it for any $30.

https://share.temu.com/n1rnRzKooIA
View attachment 3801758
I know about Temu,,, but have never ordered from them.. Their prices are low for sure. :thumbsup
How long was the time from ordering to receiving???
I do know of individuals (on BYC) that were not too satisfied/thrilled with Temu. I did not ask details though.
I also am interested how they accept payments. I'm not too thrilled to post my credit card info on the net. Places that I do purchase from , usually do accept Paypal. That is an extra layer of protection from possible scam sites and myself.

I know about Temu,,, but have never ordered from them.. Their prices are low for sure. :thumbsup
I do know of individuals (on BYC) that were not too satisfied/thrilled with Temu. I did not ask details though.
I also am interested how they accept payments. I'm not too thrilled to post my credit card info on the net. Places that I do purchase from , usually do accept Paypal. That is an extra layer of protection from possible scam sites and myself.
There's a lot of cheaply made stuff on Temu, so I pay attention when ordering something. They take various payment options - I use my card, but through Google pay. This way is more secured. I think they take PayPal too. I got a few things for camping on there. My cousin loves the site and introduced me to it. I don't use it nearly as much as he does.

I’ve used Temu for over a year and have always used PayPal.

Back
Top Bottom