I'm a real goose lady now. I got attacked!

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
I went out to feed my flock of 13 geese and 30-something meat chickens who are currently living together. Soon the chickens will be in the freezer but anyway. I did a head count and came up with 12. One of my goslings was missing. His name is Mate. (so I can say g'day mate)

So, I looked around for him and found him stuck in thorny bushes and in the bushes there was netting that we put on the cherry trees in years past. He was stuck and frantic. All the other geese were eating, so I thought. So I kneel down to help poor little mate and I am trying to untangle him or break the netting as gentle as I can and suddenly I am bitten in the back and I feel a hard thump on my back and sure enough his daddy gander is behind me causing a scene. Luckily I was able to free Mate quickly before getting too bashed up by the Ty, the aggressive gander who always hisses and never bites - until now! My back still feels a little sore. They pack a punch!

Mate is doing well now with no lasting effects of getting his leg tangled in netting and thorns. Ty is looking after his son, Mate and all is well in goose land.

I have already forewarned my three geese that they can stick around so long as I don't get bit or attacked. They can hiss and walk away ALL they want, the first one that bites is DINNER.

Y'all are disciplinarians! My chinese gander bites me ALL the time. i've had to get smart, and I can minimize the damage if I keep my eyes open. he especially likes to bite me when I'm gathering eggs, or refilling water bowls... it makes him real grumpy.

It's definitely not a pleasant experience to get attacked by your geese. My two 4 month old ganders are already starting to come at me at certain times. They are still easy to spook away just by clapping my hands, unlike their daddy gander who isn't spooked by anything. I thought maybe my baby ganders would be nicer to me since I raised them from hatch but now I'm thinking not.

Yeah he was up for the Christmas Dinner spot but another gander hurt his leg. I understand he was just looking after his baby, which is a good thing. At least I know he isn't afraid of someone 5x his size.

Everyone in my family got their first goose bites today as well. We were attempting to move them to a new enclosure, and they weren't thrilled with the idea of us manhandling them....especially our gander. He got my husband first, he hates him now, and then my son. He bit me once too. I was suprised, i thought it would hurt a lot more than it did.

Quote:
gig.gif
he just didn't get a good bite in.
lau.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif

That's no kidding!

If you do not shout, clutch your bitten part, howl curse words and wonder if you are going to pass out from the pain, ya ain't been properly bitten by a goose
big_smile.png

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif

That's no kidding!

If you do not shout, clutch your bitten part, howl curse words and wonder if you are going to pass out from the pain, ya ain't been properly bitten by a goose
big_smile.png

You guys are funny. I was got a bit on the back which did not hurt nearly as bad as the elbow of the wing pounding on me. You know how they do it. LOL
My full grown baby gosling (i know) eats out of my hand and she bites me by accident sometimes and that does hurt when she mistakes my hands for food and that is not even a full attack. Attack mode is no joke! I have a very aggressive goose that I have to use a fishing net to move her. All the others will tolerate being picked up but the trick is to grab the neck first.

Back
Top Bottom