I'm not sure who to dislike the hatchery, or the USPS..

Day-old chicks from a hatchery should not be pooping blood in a newly built brooder. I had no signs of coccidiosis on the newly erected farm for 2 1/2 years before Ideal's chicks. I didn't appreciate the infestation. I have never had day-old chicks from other hatcheries suffer from coccidiosis. Delivery from Ideal was the same confused mess as well. Their response to the coccidiosis was just as bad. I have never bought from them before or after; I give them an F on customer service and bio-security.
Had you ever raised 700 chicks at one time before?

Coccidiosis flare ups are mostly caused by husbandry issues - brooders kept too wet, or kept overcrowded. They don't have time to get it at the hatcheries - they go in boxes within an hour or two of being born.

Agreed. I'm not in the 700 club (see what I did there?) but I ain't no spring chicken.

Although I've had 300 day old chicks before and if there was a coccidia problem, I wouldn't think it was because of a terrible hatchery. Those nasty little oocysts can be transported in from a lot of sources.

I've always operated with the understanding that coccidia exists everywhere unless you live in a bottle of Lysol. Since I don't I always keep a large dose of amprolium that is more than enough to treat every bird on hand.

I didn't mean any offense, but as others have mentioned.. Coccidia is in most environments. I worked at a large animal vet clinic and also spent many years as a dog breeder and own now many many types of animals. I don't have the knowledge of chickens that some people here do, but I do know that the stress from shipment would make any chick a prime candidate for coccidia as it is an opportunistic pathogen. Most adult animals carry it and thus preventative treatment is included in many husbandry operations. Since you said you had 700 chickens and mentioned the cost I assumed you didn't already have safeguards in your flock which may have been wrong of me.

There is no shame in getting coccidia..it really is super common out there.

I guess Ideal sent me a blessing and I didn't know it. Thanks Mr. Obvious.

First of all can we please all not argue on my thread? I know about it, but I also don't have a bunch if chicks at once like that.. We have chickens, and never once bad this flare up? Most animals will get it from their parents. Or wherever they're living. This has been very rough and it wasn't coccidiosis that my babies had, it was stress from the shipment delay because of bad ice storms.

I didn't mean any offense, but as others have mentioned.. Coccidia is in most environments. I worked at a large animal vet clinic and also spent many years as a dog breeder and own now many many types of animals. I don't have the knowledge of chickens that some people here do, but I do know that the stress from shipment would make any chick a prime candidate for coccidia as it is an opportunistic pathogen. Most adult animals carry it and thus preventative treatment is included in many husbandry operations. Since you said you had 700 chickens and mentioned the cost I assumed you didn't already have safeguards in your flock which may have been wrong of me.

There is no shame in getting coccidia..it really is super common out there.

I'm sorry. I want to know when you get your chicks! I hope to see them!!

Back
Top Bottom