Incubating eggs to hatch about August 8th

Exact opposite here...LOL! Pet chickens with tiny eggs as a bonus! Takes 3 days to get enough egg to make hubby breakfast
gig.gif
Boy we love her though!!!!

LOL, We went to the fair last weekend and spent some time looking at all the birds, saw quite a few of them banty chickens, DH and I both remarked how that would barely be a mouthful...lol.. They were pretty cute tho

DH wants me to try and enter ol blue next year, hands down he is a looker, anyone who comes to pick up eggs or animals from us always remarks on him...
Here is a photo of him at 8 months he weighs in at around 9-10 pounds... I need to update it lol

LOL, We went to the fair last weekend and spent some time looking at all the birds, saw quite a few of them banty chickens, DH and I both remarked how that would barely be a mouthful...lol.. They were pretty cute tho

DH wants me to try and enter ol blue next year, hands down he is a looker, anyone who comes to pick up eggs or animals from us always remarks on him...
Here is a photo of him at 8 months he weighs in at around 9-10 pounds... I need to update it lol

He is a handsome guy alright!!!!! I think I am following you around on the forum..LOL...just posted on another thread to you!

He is a handsome guy alright!!!!! I think I am following you around on the forum..LOL...just posted on another thread to you!

LOl.. Or I am following you... Yes, I am pretty happy with this guy, we were able to get 8 chicks from him that survived the hawks and the cats, one looks to be Cockerel that will be his co-rooster if he makes the cut... Perty little guy, all smoky blue with some darker blue around the tips of his feathers..

I not that far away from you, ( near Eugene) I wish I would have read this thread earlier today, Going to be in Portland tomorrow (going to the zoo with the kids and Grandkids) I would have brought you some eggs!!!... I sell hatching eggs and so far my feedback from buyers is a 90-95% hatch rate!!

That is so sweet of you : ) Someone nearby actually gave me over a dozen eggs this last week... I was worried that my incubator was messed up before I saw the eggs under the broody had also quit. My incubator and the new eggs seem to be good! My broody is a Serama and I have been excited to hatch more of these crazy cute little birds! What kind of eggs do you sell?

Have a great time at the zoo!

Naw.. My flock is strictly one of dual purpose, only large breeds
wink.png

Got a gorgeous Blue Orpington and a Barred rock that covers BO's, BA's Sexlinks, Jersey Giants, White leghorn and EE hens..

Just saw this : ) The eggs I got this last week are mostly mixed Copper Maran, Speckled Sussex, some Olive Eggers and others... excited to see what mixes they will be!

That is so sweet of you : ) Someone nearby actually gave me over a dozen eggs this last week... I was worried that my incubator was messed up before I saw the eggs under the broody had also quit. My incubator and the new eggs seem to be good! My broody is a Serama and I have been excited to hatch more of these crazy cute little birds! What kind of eggs do you sell?

Have a great time at the zoo!

I have a Blue Orpington and a Barred rock that cover the BO's, Ba's Marans, Sexlinks, white leghorn, EE's and Jersey Giants ( I think that's all of them)
tongue.png
I have yet to try shipping, instead focusing on selling on CL.. Figured once everything was settled and summer is past I might try and sell some on Ebay... Not sure yet, I sell a lot on ebay but never eggs..kinda scares me lol..

Last edited:
Some birds just like some humans have reproductive problems ;)

With that said as many have said during egg laying season (actually a few months before as well) you can give her (and possibly him) a better diet... I use brewers yeast as an all around supplement, it's loaded with all sorts of good things and it's as easy as mixing in with their dry food... I use KAL brand nutritional yeast (human grade brewers yeast) if I want a protein boost as well as vitamins, if I just want vitamins I use Diamond V XP ( http://www.diamondv.com/languages/en/wp-content/uploads/ProductProfile_XP-Original.pdf ) basically it's a powdered yeast multivitamin supplement sold by the 50lb bag... You can also try giving her lots of fresh stuff, contact a local grocery store (an independent one if you can) and inquire about taking all their 'day old' produce away for free to supplement your hobby farm to save them room in their dumpster... Offer to sign a 'not for human consumption, animal use only waiver'... Big chain stores generally have policies against this but many independent stores will be happy to help you out, I have no shortage of small ma/pa ethnic stores in my area... Use what you can and start a big composted heap with any left overs... I'm currently doing this and I could honestly stop buying feed altogether if I wanted but I like the fact that feed provides a closer balanced diet so it's always available to them and I try to limit and moderate the fresh foods to force them to still eat some feed...

Great info, thank you! I have a big garden and fruit trees so this time of year especially the birds and bunnies get all kinds of fruits and veggies and greens. I have only had her for a month and she has been broody the last couple of weeks so she didn't have a chance to eat much! I will definitely use some of your suggestions... I have some brewers yeast that I got for my ducklings.
She has a little nesting box that hangs up in the corner and I might make one out of hardware cloth, like a mini wire box, and see if it keeps her from going broody so often. I know she has hatched and raised chicks in the past, apparently she really loves being a mama.

Okay, I candled last night but it wasn't very rewarding. I had a house full of kids distracting me so I couldn't enjoy it. I think I have some quitters but I hate to remove them. All I could see in most was a dark blob which I am hopeing are viable chicks. Argggg! It didn't help. It just gave me more qustions.

Okay, I candled last night but it wasn't very rewarding. I had a house full of kids distracting me so I couldn't enjoy it. I think I have some quitters but I hate to remove them. All I could see in most was a dark blob which I am hopeing are viable chicks. Argggg! It didn't help. It just gave me more qustions.
LOL....Kids!!!!
wink.png
Blob and veins are good for fast candling! I think we should definitely grant you an extra candle day because of your "kid distraction"...LOL! Everyone should be able to enjoy their candling experience to the fullest
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom