Incubating eggs to hatch about August 8th

Can we total how we did as a group on this hatch?

If you could just add on to my totals, we could have a running total. However I am afraid I will be bringing the hatch rate down...

I started 40 eggs....
I had 10 hatch

for a dismal rate of 25%...

PS Alaskan were those a surprise?

I would love to add in mine (yep, surprise, I thought they were due next week) but I am not sure what the numbers are! :confused:

I didn't see any eggs in the pile of ducklings. But, maybe the duck sharing the box rolled unhatched eggs to her nest??? So that box has two nests, one a solid duckling mass, and one a giant pile of eggs.

I would love to add in mine (yep, surprise, I thought they were due next week) but I am not sure what the numbers are!
hu.gif

I didn't see any eggs in the pile of ducklings. But, maybe the duck sharing the box rolled unhatched eggs to her nest??? So that box has two nests, one a solid duckling mass, and one a giant pile of eggs.

Are you going to throw, or gently place the big pile of eggs into an incubator? Or do they not have a chance of hatching?

Can I say I hate auto correct!
hide.gif

My DH says to tellyou all that it is just a new breed of chicks developed by fruit of the loom.
lau.gif
. The most common variety being the tighty whitey.
big_smile.png
lau.gif

Been busy with other things in life, but I have not forgotten about this, I will snap some pictures maybe tomorrow...

My shipped in peas were a bust from the get go, but the shipped guineas, local guineas and my own chickens did well... And I should still have some local peas hatching in the coming weeks...

Sorry about the shipped peas.
thumbsup.gif
About all the others!!!
fl.gif
for the local peas! =)

@Puddin Fluff

They are Muscovy. Two Muscovy ducks decided to share the box. The one on the left, in the second picture, is white and blue with lovely clear blue eyes. Her name is Keks, and it was her nest that hatched.

The other duck, Creamy is white and silver with dark eyes. I think Creamy's nest is due this Friday.

I have four Muscovy females, and one male.

My girls are
Kuhflecken, she is chocolate and white,
Keks, the blue and white,
Creamy, silver and white
Toffee, a mix of chocolate and blue with only a little white

The drake is silver and white.

As to how many ducklings...
hu.gif
Creamy tried to bite my face off when I tried to look. I was counting in that photo I took, and I think that I see at least 12. Many of them look silver, must be Creamy's ducklings. There are some dark ones too, but with the dim light I couldn't tell if they are chocolate, or blue. (The nice thing about having a silver drake, the color of the mother's come through.) They weren't picky about who laid where when they were nest building.

Toffee is sitting on a nest too, but I didn't write down when she started sitting! I just know it was way after the other two.

@MeepBeep

I would love photos!

(From everyone!)
big_smile.png
Mine just look like eggs, just one is missing it's top.
somad.gif

Can we total how we did as a group on this hatch?

If you could just add on to my totals, we could have a running total. However I am afraid I will be bringing the hatch rate down...

I started 40 eggs....
I had 10 hatch

for a dismal rate of 25%...

PS Alaskan were those a surprise?

I can't total yet, b/c I still have live chicks inside eggs on day 23!!!!!
25% isn't bad starting with that many eggs, actually. I found that doing smaller batches actually gives higher hatch rates.
hu.gif
More chicken math, I guess.

I would love to add in mine (yep, surprise, I thought they were due next week) but I am not sure what the numbers are!
hu.gif

@duluthralphie , Alaskan is never sure of the numbers (that's how he hides so many from his spouse). shhhhhhh
I don't know how to add the little motion figures, so I'll just state:
LMBO...ROTFLMBO...IJPM...
gig.gif
I KWYM!
It's the smiley face in the fifth box at the top of the box where you type. =)

I would love to add in mine (yep, surprise, I thought they were due next week) but I am not sure what the numbers are! :confused:

@duluthralphie
, Alaskan is never sure of the numbers (that's how he hides so many from his spouse). shhhhhhh

Very true, very true. Got to make sure I don't lie. :D

Though, since these are "outside only" livestock, AND since the spouse likes to eat them..... It is actually OK to keep an accurate count. ;)

Are you going to throw, or gently place the big pile of eggs into an incubator?  Or do they not have a chance of hatching?

Not sure yet, I REALLY hope I don't have to put them in the incubator...since then they would turn into "inside" livestock! :eek:

However, so far so good, the other duck, Creamy, is still sitting tightly on her eggs, even though the ducklings are running all over the box, from one duck to the other.

I am actually starting to be a bit concerned actually, we still haven't seen Keks take the ducklings to feed and water. However, the coop is set up in such a way, she could easily feed them on the sly.

My hatch rate overall was pretty dismal, I need to sit and figure it out.

I always wonder if you should count from the beginning, every egg you set, or should you count after 7 day candle when you take out the unfertile eggs?

That makes a better htch rate.

For some reason I'm not having a good life with computers lately. My box only has 4 boxes. No smiley faces for me it seems...
Lauraschicks

...Although I do have 12 new chicks, though I must admit to a poor hatch rate on my shipped eggs as well. Out of 61 eggs in 2 incubators, I had 14 hatch and 2 die post birth, 1 had wry neck, fell onto the edge of the water with just his beak in it, but couldn't get back up, and one got knocked over by big blue demon, and never recovered. Both were Jubilee Orpingtons and it's really depressing.
Sorry to be so weepy...
Lauraschicks

Last edited:

For some reason I'm not having a good life with computers lately. My box only has 4 boxes. No smiley faces for me it seems...
Lauraschicks

...Although I do have 12 new chicks, though I must admit to a poor hatch rate on my shipped eggs as well. Out of 61 eggs in 2 incubators, I had 14 hatch and 2 die post birth, 1 had wry neck, fell onto the edge of the water with just his beak in it, but couldn't get back up, and one got knocked over by big blue demon, and never recovered. Both were Jubilee Orpingtons and it's really depressing.
Sorry to be so weepy...
Lauraschicks

:hugs :hugs

Haching is an emotional roller-coaster all right! :hit with you!

Back
Top Bottom