Incubating eggs to hatch about August 8th

me, I am ecstatic! I have an over 50% hatch rate on my shipped quail.

I had one that hatched with messed up leg joints. Everything looked OK, but the knee joints were a bit swollen, and the legs wouldn't move the way they should when I played with them. I was thinking, if they still moved right, or popped back into place, I could splint, but no such luck.

I hate dispatching chicks, and have a horrid time doing it, and never do it well........ so, please don't hate me.....I know it is super wrong...
hide.gif
........but I thought that since he was so small...... anyway (if you are squeamish, like me, close your eyes) anyway, I took him out to my Muscovy drake. I called "here drake, drake" so he knew he was getting a treat. He was very good, and much more merciful that I am. He snapped that tiny quail right up and in way less than a second it was over.

but

hit.gif
hit.gif

Yay!!! My well-wishing helped the shipped eggs!!!
bun.gif

Vet Wrap on the legs?

Oh, my. Yeah, that's definitely easier on us; if it's quicker for the chick, then wonderful.
hugs.gif

If no one else has started a September hatch-a-long thread, then I will. I'm going to set up my cardboard box incubator and give it a try.
hide.gif
Everyone who said I couldn't make it until I got my incubator (including DD) should withhold their I told you so's (unlike DD).
old.gif

If no one else has started a September hatch-a-long thread, then I will.  I'm going to set up my cardboard box incubator and give it a try.
:oops: Everyone who said I couldn't make it until I got my incubator (including DD) should withhold their I told you so's (unlike DD). :old

:gig

And thanks Teachick and @Puddin Fluff for your kind words.

Since I don't hatch frequently, the cardboard boxes are easily disposed of once we are done. If I did it on a regular basis, I would make a perminate one.
Sorry about the baby. I would never have thought about doing that but I think it is a good way. I too hate the dispatching part.

How do you dispatch your chicks? I have one that hatched blind, and I don't know what to do with it. The kids want me to keep it in a kennel with a pair of breeders, but I don't think it's fair to the chick. I've never done it before. I have a hard time stepping on roaches...
Lauraschicks

If no one else has started a September hatch-a-long thread, then I will.  I'm going to set up my cardboard box incubator and give it a try.
:oops: Everyone who said I couldn't make it until I got my incubator (including DD) should withhold their I told you so's (unlike DD). :old

I'm in for a September hatch - a - long. I just got 6 Silver Appleyard duck eggs and 24 mixed guinea eggs. I would be ecstatic for a 50 % success rate on either. My last hatch was 0. Once again Orpingtons. This time I tried the dry incubation method. It totally didn't work for me. OR...could it be the Orps? Are Orpingtons supposed to be difficult to hatch, or is it the dreaded mailed eggs. I hate to think it's just me.

Last edited:
Since I don't hatch frequently, the cardboard boxes are easily disposed of once we are done. If I did it on a regular basis, I would make a perminate one.
Sorry about the baby. I would never have thought about doing that but I think it is a good way. I too hate the dispatching part.

How do you dispatch your chicks? I have one that hatched blind, and I don't know what to do with it. The kids want me to keep it in a kennel with a pair of breeders, but I don't think it's fair to the chick. I've never done it before. I have a hard time stepping on roaches...
Lauraschicks

Both eyes blind, or only one eye? With one eye it can live well....with no eyes, I would kill it.

:oops: the last one I had to kill, I fed it to my Muscovy drake. He was perfect, and killed it in one snap.

If no one else has started a September hatch-a-long thread, then I will. I'm going to set up my cardboard box incubator and give it a try.
hide.gif
Everyone who said I couldn't make it until I got my incubator (including DD) should withhold their I told you so's (unlike DD).
old.gif

There is one going, I have Ethel's eggs in it.. I just wish I knew the number, and could candle them. Just sitting out while she sits on them is killing me.

gig.gif

And thanks Teachick and @Puddin Fluff for your kind words.
highfive.gif
That's what friends are for!

Lauraschicks

I haven't ever had to dispatch a little chick (before fully feathered out), but my personal method is to use a BB rifle.
I don't like having anything to do with roaches; I hate those little buggers!!!

I'm in for a September hatch - a - long. I just got 6 Silver Appleyard duck eggs and 24 mixed guinea eggs. I would be ecstatic for a 50 % success rate on either. My last hatch was 0. Once again Orpingtons. This time I tried the dry incubation method. It totally didn't work for me. OR...could it be the Orps? Are Orpingtons supposed to be difficult to hatch, or is it the dreaded mailed eggs. I hate to think it's just me.
Okay, I'll start that right away. =)
I use the dry incubation method. Most of my hatches have been 0; all my incubators have been homemade. DH is planning on getting me a real incubator soon. Also, I'm hoping to modify my little cooler-bator according to Meep's instructions. =D
Shipped eggs kind of get damaged in shipping; sometimes the "damage" is "repaired" by the growth hormones (I guess) of the chick, but sometimes the "damage" is too great. Also, fertility can be an issue unless you're getting the eggs from a reputable hatchery or from someone you know you can trust to give you fertile eggs. Orps are quite fluffy around the vent, kind of like Cochins but not as much; Cochin fluff decreases fertilization by 30% (for instance) and then shipping decreases hatch rates by 50%.
Did you crack one or two of the eggs to find out whether they were fertilized or not?
(I guess some, at least, must have been fertilized; you wouldn't have been incubating clears for 3 weeks.)
Sorry, I did it again...
duc.gif
I'll just
hide.gif

There is one going, I have Ethel's eggs in it.. I just wish I knew the number, and could candle them. Just sitting out while she sits on them is killing me.

Mind posting the link?

I found it.
I had done a search, but it didn't turn up. I went to the "Hatch-a-long" forum, and there it was!!!
jumpy.gif

Sorry.
hide.gif

Last edited:
highfive.gif
That's what friends are for!

I haven't ever had to dispatch a little chick (before fully feathered out), but my personal method is to use a BB rifle.
I don't like having anything to do with roaches; I hate those little buggers!!!

Okay, I'll start that right away. =)
I use the dry incubation method. Most of my hatches have been 0; all my incubators have been homemade. DH is planning on getting me a real incubator soon. Also, I'm hoping to modify my little cooler-bator according to Meep's instructions. =D
Shipped eggs kind of get damaged in shipping; sometimes the "damage" is "repaired" by the growth hormones (I guess) of the chick, but sometimes the "damage" is too great. Also, fertility can be an issue unless you're getting the eggs from a reputable hatchery or from someone you know or u can trust to give you fertile eggs. Orps are quite fluffy around the vent, kind of like Cochins but not as much; Cochin fluff decreases fertilization by 30% (for instance) and then shipping decreases hatch rates by 50%.
Did you crack one or two of the eggs to find out whether they were fertilized or not?
(I guess some, at least, must have been fertilized; you wouldn't have been incubating clears for 3 weeks.)
Sorry, I did it again...
duc.gif
I'll just
hide.gif
LOL
lau.gif
Ok so I didn't know fluff reduces fertility rates
sad.png
Mine were all bantam cochin.....PLUS shipped= only 1 egg hatching...aaaahhh
rant.gif
...but I LOVE bantam cochins
love.gif