INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had two triples, both from a barred rock when she was less than a year old. I swear she waddles like a duck after the second one... still trying to figure out how an egg that big came from a bird that size. Last year I bought some EEs from Southern States. Almost every hen laid double yolkers for the first 3 months they laid. I thought that was strange.
Well, there were four BR in that coop so it could have been one of them, but the light brown made me think RIR.

Don't see why not, unless the linseed oil irritates them, but again, I've never had occasion to use it. Is that the same stuff you mark a cow with to tell when she's been mounted?
you can use it for that on cows, goats, horses, etc. Like I said, I used it to train.
I just thought it would work for the person who asked for a way other than ties. Since it comes in multiple colors it would work till they feather in.
I wonder what the marker stuff is the hatcheries use?

Here's the pictures of them. I wear men's large size gloves (pardon the man hands) for size comparison.
The one I posted by itself was the triple. I thought that double with the two eggs was big till I got the triple. With my luck it was the January 21 hatch pullet that I lost yesterday that layed it

Someone posted a link earlier today (late AM /early PM) about hatcheries using something to mark chicks. Maybe it'll say in the link. Might be CC who posted it; not sure. @ChickenCanoe

I don't know what they use. I do have a Word document with marking techniques for wildlife.
I think paint or dye would be best. I use colored zip ties for chicks.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...09.doc&usg=AFQjCNEqpUl0ITkVwN22huXlH6mDvEB5LA

I haven't been around in a while. Just too busy.
I think you set eggs the same day I did. Mine are due in 6 days and 7 hours. That is, if any survived the temp spikes and lows.

Microsoft forced windows 10 on me and that tied up the computer for a day.
I discovered chalkbrood (a fungus that kills larvae) in 2 of my hives so I'm dealing with that and it's supposed to rain for the next 6 days.
I'm also trying to use up all my mushroom plug spawn before the rain hits. Reishi, Maitake, Lion's Mane, Oyster and Shitake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom