INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have room to add a tall narrow container? It would give you a longer lasting water reserve without too much surface area for evaporation.

Actually, I do. I hadn't thought of that!!

Thank you!![/quote]

That should work!

As far as the rails, I assume without the pump, you don't get the spongy strips? Mine came with some strips that fit between the rails and hold against the eggs. I suppose you could make something similar out of foam, or could you wedge them with tissues or paper towels? I can post a pic tomorrow when I get to my computer if it would help.

Since my eggs are due to hatch next Friday, I am already thinking about what and when to hatch next :)
My question is for those of you living where winter weather (consistent below freezing temps, snow, ice) is part of the equation. Do you hatch and raise chicks year round or do you wait til Spring to start up the bator again?

That is a good question. I just ordered more and I'm in N. Idaho. I hope they'll be ok or else I just threw away a lot of money
1f615.png

So I set the eggs!!! Its holding steady at 99.5 and 29% humidity. Although the humidity may change because the incubator is outside....but it's in my garage. So hopefully everything hold steady. :fl. For some CLB pullets!!!!

Still waiting on my hens to lay. Just another week or two
1f604.png
But of course I can't hatch their first eggs.....

You CAN hatch their first eggs but you have to keep your expectations low. I hatched 5/10 of my first eggs from my first pullets. I only tried because I sold my rooster and wanted to see offspring from him. The failed 5 were one infertile and four stopped developing along the way.

That is a good question. I just ordered more and I'm in N. Idaho. I hope they'll be ok or else I just threw away a lot of money
1f615.png

If you are brooding inside they will be fine, there is an excellent thread or article on here if you search outdoor brooding. As long as the chicks have fresh food, water, and a way to stay warm and dry they should be fine.

This was from earlier today. I scalped a microwave turntable turner from a broken microwave. Throughout the day I stole moments away to get things lined up and tested for the turner. It holds a dozen eggs. My next step will be getting the fan and light rewired and hooked up to the thermostat.

Also, I picked up some new chickens today. Two hens and a cockerel. They are Cream Brabanters and I love them already. They're in quarantine, so not thrilled.

This is my mood improviser, Sally. Haha.

Ugh, had it all types out, and it disappeared.

I need help with the humidity on my Brinsea 20 advance, without a pump.

My humidity was 38% last night about 11 pm, so I added more thru the vent hole, using aquarium tubing and a syringe. It was at 44% when I went to bed.
This morning it was at 36%, so I added a little more water. Got it to 45% before I left to work.

Got home at 5:30. It was at 25%. Added MORE water.

This is so stupid. Why won't it just stay steady? Is it because my house has roughly 0% humidity, and it's evaporating much faster? It's been like this since day two. I'm at day 4.

Also, these crappy little wire dividers don't work for quail eggs. They all fall over, no matter how snugly I have them tucked in. This is a problem, right?

They fall over eventually, as the auto turner goes back and forth.

Without an automatic water pump, you pretty much have to add drips every few hours into that Brinsea. What's helped was laying a few sheets of paper towels laying in the water well and then draped up and over- it pulls the water from one of the wells and does better at maintaining a more consistent humidity. And yeah, if your house is fairly dry, you'll have greater evaporation.

For shifting quail eggs, why not cut out the bottom of a cardboard egg carton to nest your eggs in?

Just want to update everyone on my eggs...it's day 13 and I candled tonight because I'll be gone all weekend. I'm down to 20 eggs out of 41. I've lost 3 since my last candling which was on day 10. I will candle 1 more time on Tuesday when I put them into lockdown. All of my eggs were shipped from 3 different sellers. One of the 3 sellers eggs have fared much better than The other 2. 16 of the 20 that are left are from that 1 seller. The eggs that are left are; 4 chocolate orpingtons, 4 molted/spotted orpingtons, 1 maline and 11 brahmas (blue/gold partridge). I did see a foot tonight when I candled, that was pretty cool!

No, I do not but this is a close up of one of the butterflies.

I do. I did decorative leather tooling for many years, b4 age took its toll on my hands. Look for imperfections in the design; uneven background stamping and knife "slips" mostly. Humans make mistakes; machines don't. Hand tooled or machine tooled, it's a beautiful piece, and Tex Tan makes a good saddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom