INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a bunch of baseballs with crooked seams
tongue.png

Quote: Hatching eggs? muwahhahhahaaa

Howdy.... Long day today.... Hope yours was good

Well, I got a second of the olive eggs and it is much more olive, and another pullet started and she lays a light mint green :)
pretty dax!!

Quote: OMG sounds like my stepdaughter and her father tells us to shush all morning because she is slepping... yeah OK NOT in my house! lmao!!

I started getting eggs from my December hens the end of April. Dark green first, lighter green next and the beige just started laying 2 weeks ago. Yesterday we got the biggest egg I've ever seen out of one of them. I'm guessing the Buff Orpington? a
pretty!!!

Same here. My internal clock wakes me at 4:30 most days. Even as a kid. So I was shocked when I found out it was 10:00. Lately it's more like 5:30
My internal clock goes off between 4 and 5 most days. I worked evenings and midnights most of my life. I hated it. I love seeing the sunrise. The only time I saw it back then was before going to bed.

We've gotten double yolkers out of several of the tiny Olive green eggs. I'm guessing the big one will be breakfast tomorrow. I'm concerned because I set several of the smaller army green eggs before I realized it kept giving us double yolks. I can't imagine 2 chicks could ever hatch out of a tiny little shell.
They almost never hatch out of a big shell either. Twinning is a death sentence in egg layers.

Both my daughters hate it when they call to tell me what one of the grandkids have done this time and I burst out into a maniacal laugh. Then I stop suddenly and say in my best Keanu Reeves impression, 'w hoa, flashback dude! '
lau.gif

It has gotten to the point recently they have stopped telling me what the little 'Angels' have done. They tell my wife, and ask her to relay the message now.
gig.gif
Good one.
I'm not holding my breath for grandchildren. My 2 kids (in their upper 20s) are following in their ancestors footsteps. Child rearing late in life or not at all. My daughter declared about 10 years ago that she would never have children. She may now be softening on that point of view.
At least we don't contribute to overpopulation.

Two internal pips
I didn't know you had eggs cooking in the incubator.
If they're under a broody hen, you're a bad chicken dad.

That's typical spring here, 5-6 days in the sixties, then one or two in the thirties, then right back to sixties and seventies.
That cycle usually lasts till the end of May.
I do raised beds for most of our tomatoes, peppers, and other tender veggies with cover later in the year.
I have tried covers in the spring, but have lost the temperature battle too many times.
I just keep them in my sunroom until the end of May now, transplanting to successively bigger pots until the weather cooperates.
I usually plant them six to eight inches deep when the go out permanently
I checked yesterday and the late April frost killed all of my fruit. Apples, pears, peaches, apricots and plums are all gone.

Quote:
I'm so excited
About?

will you PM me pictures and how to on your grow out/hoop coop?

Anyone else who has a quick inexpensive pen I can do as a grow out coop for the young boys for the summer I would appreciate it.
Thanks
A roll of remesh can be cut into 10' lengths and make a hoop pen 8' wide and 120' long. Or some combination thereof.

alright! Broody hatch is done, hen isn't interested in the remaining two eggs, I candled And I can't see much, But I didn't see any movement so They are going to be thrown out tomorrow if there isn't anything interesting. I PROMISE I will post pics soon, Like tomorrow if I have the time. The chicks went outside for the first time today, it was pretty funny! I have some pics of mom stretching out and sunbathing with the babies about to jump onto her! I ended up with a total of 5 chicks, I think I am keeping two, or maybe three, Deff. keeping the third one until november. Two are going to a new home as soon as they are old enough to leave mom!
You could have thrown the last 2 eggs in an incubator, just in case. They will certainly abandon a nest a couple days after the first hatch.

What is everybody's favorite treat besides mealworms for your chickens?
Meat.
Chicken, turkey, beef, pork, fish, etc.

You think that's weird - my Naked Neck flock doesn't like mealworms!!!!
ep.gif

- Ant Farm
They really avoid anything they've never seen or seen another chicken eat.

Mine haven't because the price is crazy.
This place sells dried ones by the pound with free shipping.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=5000+mealworms

Better yet, buy several thousand and then raise your own. They're really easy to raise. The warmer they are, the faster they reproduce.
http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/5000-mealworms/
http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/1-pound-mealworm-bran-bedding/
https://www.reptilefood.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MWSBLG5
You can raise crickets too. They're fairly easy but can be noisy.

I get it, alright; have for 43 years. I worked in Gaithersburg, MD; in the heart of the richest county, per capita, in the country at the time; concrete, traffic lights, and far too many people. 30 miles to the north was a whole 'nuther world. I'd made up my mind that my kids would grow up knowing what a tree was without looking in a book. My daughter was once overheard telling one of her girlfriends how glad she was to have been raised in a country environment, rather than in the city somewhere. That made it all worth it for me. She actually woke up one morning telling us there'd been a cow mooing all night outside her bedroom window. She was right; I found the tracks.

These days she and her brother have both made their homes & raised their families in more urban surroundings, and it shows, in their children. Me, I wake up every morning to the sound of a rooster crowing outside my bedroom window, can still hear the cows, and find deer tracks year 'round on my own property...HEAVEN IS......
That's nice.

I grew up with the best of both worlds. A house in the city with all its amenities, a conveniently located suburban farm and a farm in the remote St. Francois Mountains where the closest neighbor was miles down the dirt road.
I think my kids appreciate both having spent all our free time in the woods and on rivers. However, my daughter lives in a 200 year old neighborhood in the city with lots of nightlife and work opportunities.

Temps holding fine on my eggs set last Sunday, but I can't get the humidity down; still running mid-high 40's.At first it was running low, so I put in a folded paper towel with a bit of water in it. That didn't help, so substituted a couple Rx bottles; not a lot of help. I added a couple or three 3cc syringes of water to the troughs; humidity shot up into the mid-50's.

Water's evaporated in the troughs, Rx bottles have been removed, a small bowl of rice added, and a de-humidifier, that we normally use in the summer in the basement, has been set up right next to the bator; current RH 40%.

Other than relocating the 'bator to the spare bedroom upstairs, which is an option, I'm fresh out of idea. Problem is, I haven't a clue if the humidity is any lower there, and no known means of finding out other than pulling one of the gauges out of the 'bator.

I can't wait to see what AC's look like tomorrow!

Any hints out there?
My eggs set last sunday took a temp spike (106F) the first day. I hope that didn't kill them. I caught them at 103 yesterday.
15 days and 15 hours to go.
I want to go more west. New England is going to be worse weather this weekend.
I want to be in high mountains closer to the Equator. My perfect place would have no need for heat or air conditioning. Cool nights and mild days year round and no bugs (flies/mosquitos)

goodpost.gif

If I went in the city, I think I would have severly compromised mental health. I can't even stand being in the city for more then a few days, I get claustraphobic.... Too many people and cars and flashy lights..... And I miss my critters dearly.
lau.gif

Good morning everybody!
-Banti
I'm no longer big on crowds. But I do brave them for the farmer's market. I'm going today. I think I'll pick up some goat meat.

Thank you, that's also the case with my last shipped egg hatching about 1 year ago. I only hatched 1 out of too many to say...
However that was when I built this god awful styrofoam incubator with a hot water heater thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom