Incubators Anonymous

My meatie projects pullets all were laying long eggs. I hatched every one of them and my hatch rates were very high

I think I am going to give it a go... what is the worst that can happen.... they don't hatch or like the old wives tales they would hatch all roos.
tongue.png

I need to take into consideration my audience in the IA thread
lau.gif

Last edited:
:lol: When I really want to hatch out some of my birds to add to my flock every egg that isn't cracked goes into the bator if they are dirty I do wash them. My hatch rates have been great even with the washed eggs and the odd shaped ones.

lol.png
When I really want to hatch out some of my birds to add to my flock every egg that isn't cracked goes into the bator if they are dirty I do wash them. My hatch rates have been great even with the washed eggs and the odd shaped ones.
We are in the right place
gig.gif
I wash dirty eggs and hatch them no problems too. OLD egg hatch just fine too
wink.png
I once had a good hatch for eggs I had held for 4 weeks.

Last edited:
We are in the right place
gig.gif
I wash dirty eggs and hatch them no problems too. OLD egg hatch just fine too
wink.png
I once had a good hatch for eggs I had held for 4 weeks.
Wow, 4 weeks? mmmmm would you chance that on shipped eggs? maybe I'll hold the batch a few more days so I can collect a few more to go with the shipped ones.....

Some of the shipped ones were dirty, wondering about washing them or just letting them go.....

Quote:
NO, I would never do that with shipped eggs. They are hard enough to hatch fresh. Those were all my home grown eggs, had better than 50% hatch. That is lower than my usual of about 90-100% but still pretty good for 4 week old eggs. On shipped eggs I don't usually wash them, just mine. You can use a damp paper towel and wipe them off as best you can. I don't find a lower hatch really with dirty eggs, but I try to make them cleaner. I have read that you should use warm water not cold to rinse them.... I don't SCRUB them, just what come off comes off.

Quote:
NO, I would never do that with shipped eggs. They are hard enough to hatch fresh. Those were all my home grown eggs, had better than 50% hatch. That is lower than my usual of about 90-100% but still pretty good for 4 week old eggs. On shipped eggs I don't usually wash them, just mine. You can use a damp paper towel and wipe them off as best you can. I don't find a lower hatch really with dirty eggs, but I try to make them cleaner. I have read that you should use warm water not cold to rinse them.... I don't SCRUB them, just what come off comes off.
do NOT wash eggs that you are shipping. leave that up to the person hatching them... I've had 2 breeders wash eggs before shipping to me, none hatched, most turned into stinkers... and old shipped eggs do happen, but not reliably. I had some 4+ wee old eggs last spring. the ones that did hatch were put down for physical deformities. (the breeder couldn't bear to throw them away so included them with much newer eggs) homegrown eggs are another story, but for shipping i wouldn't try it.

Last edited:

yea, I just used my fingernail to scrape off what I could and let it go; put them in the 'bator tonight. Actually most worried about the one with hairline crack going stinky.... rather than the dirty ones.

ki4got put some eggs in zip lock bags in case they exploded. Just sit the egg in the bag don't seal it. That way if it explodes it is contained. Did you put anything on the crack? I used wax to fill the cracks to keep out bacteria. The eggs developed but didn't hatch, but it is worth a shot.

I'd like to have some advice on an incubator.... Right now I am using a borrowed Hovabator still air. Had a very successful first hatch with my own fresh eggs, just put some more of mine and 25 shipped ones in, crossing my fingers. ;=)

But I do want to buy my own incubator so I can give this one back to my friend before she needs it herself. I've discovered that no one in my area really hatches and sells chicks and our local feed dealer only has a limited variety of chicks for a short time in the spring. I advertised the last chicks I hatched out for sale on a local yard sale page and they were spoken for in 20 minutes and several more people were interested than I had chicks to sell, so I can see where I could fill a need in my area, hatching and selling small lots of chicks through the year.

(I give you all that to give you an idea of where I'm at in my thinking/wanting when it comes to a 'bator)

So what I *think* I want is something that would hold up to 4 doz eggs, with auto turners, and automatic humidity and temperature control. Something a little less work than the still air. Something steady and reliable tho. I work crazy shifts and odd hours and having to hand turn the eggs twice a day was crazy.....

I've been looking and debating; The Genisis 1588 for $203+shipping
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/index...-kits/hova-bator-genesis-1588-deluxe-kit.html

OR
The hovabator 1602 with a fan installed, digital therm & hygrometer with remote probe for $132+shipping?
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-deluxe-combo-kit.html

Both kits come with egg turners and a candler.

Opinions please!

Back
Top Bottom