Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

Ok, I am thinking mid September. Yes or no's? taking a vote, and I will start looking for a northern location. Will post on our main thread also.
1. Plans are a swap, and maybe an auction on donated items like hatching eggs, even live birds. Swaps should be planned in advance and the owners responsibility. Chicken trains could also be worked out for the event.
2. @hoosiercheetah is offering an auto door demo. Other topics?
3. Pitch in or possibly catered. (several food chains even offer catering packages, like subway) Food committee will plan this, and take votes, decide on menu. @Minminme and possibly @barb s
fl.gif
Anyone interested in the food committee please holler! We need to plan for vegetarian members as well.
4. Time period...longer event, shorter? We all kinda felt it was too short!
Those 4 items will give us a good start on the new fest coming next year.

Ok, I am thinking mid September. Yes or no's? taking a vote, and I will start looking for a northern location. Will post on our main thread also.
1. Plans are a swap, and maybe an auction on donated items like hatching eggs, even live birds. Swaps should be planned in advance and the owners responsibility. Chicken trains could also be worked out for the event.
2. @hoosiercheetah
is offering an auto door demo. Other topics?
3. Pitch in or possibly catered. (several food chains even offer catering packages, like subway) Food committee will plan this, and take votes, decide on menu. @Minminme
and possibly @barb s
:fl Anyone interested in the food committee please holler! We need to plan for vegetarian members as well.

[COLOR=006400] Mid-September works for us, although that is after IU semester starts so we would have less flexibility to camp or overnight. Would love an auto-door demo, and any other demos people are willing to give. Longer would be fine, although it would have to be a day trip for us so depending on location we might need to leave early. Catered might be easier, but we enjoyed tasting all the great home-made foods this year.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
2. @hoosiercheetah
is offering an auto door demo. Other topics?
3. Pitch in or possibly catered. (several food chains even offer catering packages, like subway) Food committee will plan this, and take votes, decide on menu. @Minminme
and possibly @barb s
:fl Anyone interested in the food committee please holler! We need to plan for vegetarian members as well.

Hollering back... I can only speak for myself but I am definitely interested in being on the "feed em right" committee. I used to have a business that included catering so if you want catered I may be able to give you a good price on it. Anyway you all want t go...let us know.

I know I'm a long distance member so no matter where you locate the get together I'll have extensive travel time. Definitely all for a more northern location so as t give some other members access. If it could be arranged as a weekend casual gathering that would be a blast! Make the dinner gathering on a Saturday with a camp fire gathering after??? Possibly have the "swap" meet thing at or around noon? And b in an area that camping is closer? Possibly have an adults only after a certain time around the campfire so those who wish can relax with a brew of their choosing (even if its just a cup of tea or coffee). That time of year we might be able to get a discounted rate on a "block" of campsites that will make staying n camping more affordable?
I'm already getting excited!!!!

I know I'm a long distance member so no matter where you locate the get together I'll have extensive travel time. Definitely all for a more northern location so as t give some other members access. If it could be arranged as a weekend casual gathering that would be a blast! Make the dinner gathering on a Saturday with a camp fire gathering after??? Possibly have the "swap" meet thing at or around noon? And b in an area that camping is closer? Possibly have an adults only after a certain time around the campfire so those who wish can relax with a brew of their choosing (even if its just a cup of tea or coffee). That time of year we might be able to get a discounted rate on a "block" of campsites that will make staying n camping more affordable?
I'm already getting excited!!!!
That is a very good idea! Kids could still be welcome, but only at the parent's discretion. I don't have a camper we can move anymore so we probably wouldn't stay late. It would make things much more fun tho, for those that do! I may be able to convince DH to get another tent (doubtful). I will look into the state parks and see what might be available. A decent pavilion is really all we should need in case of rain. There are quite a few parks in the area I want to aim for.

I
That is a very good idea! Kids could still be welcome, but only at the parent's discretion. I don't have a camper we can move anymore so we probably wouldn't stay late. It would make things much more fun tho, for those that do! I may be able to convince DH to get another tent (doubtful). I will look into the state parks and see what might be available. A decent pavilion is really all we should need in case of rain. There are quite a few parks in the area I want to aim for.

I was looking at State park site last night there are a couple around the Peru area. mississenew lake looked like a good one and has several group meeting type areas to rent for like $30. If I'm not mistaken. I think I spelled th lakes name wrong but u will b able t figure out which one I'm referring to easy enough. I have two tents if someone wants t use one. I may b bringing a pull behind camper this year (it's my sons) so I'll loan the tents. Not sure our mid Sept dates will work though because State parks close their "facilities" on Labor Day. You r better at chking those arrangements than I am though so maybe you'll have better luck.

Haven't been on here for awhile, but did want to add that I would love to help Minminme with the food. Also, as far as State Parks go there is Pokagon, which is about an hour from the Michigan state line. A little farther south is Salamonie which has a campground in the park but also has a horsemens campground and a primitive campground in the forest. I think the last time we camped there it was 10 dollars a night. The only problem with the campground it the forest is that it is self serve. I have been to Mississinewa but have never camped there, so don't know anything about their campground. They do have a battle reenactment of the war of 1812 every year in October, called Mississinewa Days, thats pretty cool.
Well just wanted to say that I would be happy to help with the food.

Haven't been on here for awhile, but did want to add that I would love to help Minminme with the food. Also, as far as State Parks go there is Pokagon, which is about an hour from the Michigan state line. A little farther south is Salamonie which has a campground in the park but also has a horsemens campground and a primitive campground in the forest. I think the last time we camped there it was 10 dollars a night. The only problem with the campground it the forest is that it is self serve. I have been to Mississinewa but have never camped there, so don't know anything about their campground. They do have a battle reenactment of the war of 1812 every year in October, called Mississinewa Days, thats pretty cool.
Well just wanted to say that I would be happy to help with the food.

I was hoping you'd put you two cents in!!! Its worth a million! I remember u talking about pokagon and salamonie but couldn't remember the names. Also looking forward to working with you on the "Committee" ...I get t work with Barb, I get t work with Barb!!!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom