Indiana BYCers chickenfest 2015

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
10 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
OK am going to do it...Guys lets start to plan for this now!
I will have the campground available. BUT want to aim for a more central location for everyone!
Please keep this thread separate from our main Indiana BYCers thread.
This is for all of us that want to meet, swap, gab, have fun and learn stuff!
big_smile.png
And just get together with good friends and have fun
Think about your family events, school sports and outings..Band, and choir rehearsal and performances..
Boy and girl scouts, 4H, ROTC and so many other activities the kids are involved in..
Lets start with a date... please holler out what works.

. He is the next addict in the family. see it coming already!
Peer pressure:

"You know you want a hen. C'mon man, everyone else has a hen. Having a hen now and then won't hurt you. Don't you want to be cool like your friends? Look, we all have hens right now. I've had four today, and I'm fine! You can quit anytime you want, no problem man. Look, I'll even give you the first hen for free......"

And so it begins. A year later the kid has traded his car and his killer stereo for hens, and you're finding hens stashed under his bed, and he says, "I learned it from you, okay! I LEARNED IT BY WATCHING YOU!!"

If you're really lucky, he won't go over to goats and rabbits. After all, hens are gateway livestock. I know you know what I mean. ;-)

The most important issue I will address first is bio security to protect their farm. Thinking we need a shoe dip area for starters. What areas will be OFF LIMIT and only visited with our hosts discretion. I am looking into the best overall dip type chemical now so we have plenty of it for our fest.

This has been on my mind since we learned the fest would be at someone's farm. Not only should it be a concern for all those attending, but for me, I feel particularly concerned knowing that my birds are positive for MG. I do know when they are most likely to be shedding the organism and will be careful about that (and I may decide not to come if they happen to be in one of those 'spells' at the time, honestly). I really want to assure PeacefulWalls, though, that we will be taking every step I can think of to make sure that we don't track MG with us. Here is what I have so far; if anyone has further ideas, I would be glad to hear of them:

Clothing: All of the clothing that mom and I wear to the Chickenfest will be freshly washed, at my insistence. To ensure that our clean clothes don't come into contact with anything contaminated, we will also be washing thoroughly in a shower before dressing in these clean clothes.

Shoes: Our shoes will be scrubbed, especially the tread. My goal is to make sure there isn't a spec of dirt in the treads of our shoes to make sure nothing gets tracked. Of course, we will have to wear them to walk to the car, so a boot wash at the other end is advised. I'm not sure what chemicals would be optimal for it. I do know that MG is sensitive to antibacterial substances and heat, if that helps.

Car: This is the harder part. The plan is to wash it inside and out with antibacterial soap (see above), especially the foot wells. We're also planning on stopping by a car wash on the way, to be safe. Once again, the goal is to make sure no dirt finds its way, especially on the tires, which will obviously be in contact with the ground as we're leaving the property.

Other notes: I don't think I'll be bringing anything along with us, but if I do, it will get a thorough wiping with antibacterial soap. I'll probably bring a pack of antibacterial wipes as well, in case I feel like I've missed something. I have no plans on buying or selling any birds while we're there, so that should be okay. If we do happen to pick up a bird there, though, it will either be kept near the car, or in it with the windows open for air flow; not anywhere near any of the resident livestock.

I think I would strongly advise that others at least try to do some of these things (and any other ideas if suggested) as well, especially the car wash if your birds are anywhere near your car or driveway at any time.

There are just a few of my thoughts on biosecurity, anyway. :)

Can you re-post the particulars of the chicken fest (days, times, location, etc.) again.... I don't want to have to skim back through to find
hide.gif
Chickenfest will be on Saturday, June 27 in Goshen. The original plan was that we would host here at our farm. However, with concerns about biosecurity and now the Avian Influenza, as an alternate location I have reserved our church's fellowship hall for our gathering -- still in Goshen. We will have plenty of space for gathering inside as well as out. We'd love to have everyone come to our place, but Barb, Janet & I feel this new arrangement is probably in everyone's best interests this year!

I see SallyinIndiana's small size request, so I wondered when we say 'tote' are we talking something large enough to be a reusable shopping bag?
Yes.....and no. Sizes can vary. Totes can come in banty sizes too. Maybe make the first one shopping bag size with a LF breed, and a future one smaller with a banty breed?

I know I'm a long distance member so no matter where you locate the get together I'll have extensive travel time. Definitely all for a more northern location so as t give some other members access. If it could be arranged as a weekend casual gathering that would be a blast! Make the dinner gathering on a Saturday with a camp fire gathering after??? Possibly have the "swap" meet thing at or around noon? And b in an area that camping is closer? Possibly have an adults only after a certain time around the campfire so those who wish can relax with a brew of their choosing (even if its just a cup of tea or coffee). That time of year we might be able to get a discounted rate on a "block" of campsites that will make staying n camping more affordable?
I'm already getting excited!!!!

ATTENTION

To all members, lurkers and any one else who might be interested

Currently we are in the planning stages of "Chickenfest 2015". I recently sent out pms to all members listed on our members page, so everyone should have one. If you did not receive one it is either because: I had a brain fart, fell asleep and lost my place, or something stupid like that or it is because you are not listed on the members page. So if you are interested in attending this years chickenfest please send me (barb s) a pm by Feb 28, 2015 with the best date that would work for you. An exact date would be best, but I understand that this may not, (probably isn't) possible, the best month would also work. We are going to do everything that we can to choose a date that will allow the most people to be able to attend.

It's going to be the biggest and best yet. So plan to attend and join in on all the fun.

So again if you did not receive a pm from me and are interested in attending, please pm me with your date(s) by Feb 28th.

Hope to see ya'll there. Have a fantastic day!!!

I will be more than happy to donate eggs and chicks for auction to help support Chickenfest as well! Should be able to offer black and blue split for lavender silkie/showgirls, white silkies, bantam cochins in partridge, buff/buff barred, and lavender barred/barred split for lavender, blrw, and partridge brahmas. I'm not sure the best method to set up an auction for this. Let me know if there is interest.
How is this for an idea:

We get a list of everyone who is willing to offer eggs or even maybe chicks for auction and what breeds they want to list.

We put together a list by breed and location in the state and whether they are pickup or ship.

We start an auction thread - This part could use some suggestions.....not sure if we would need to put it on the buy sell area. The winner of the auction can pick what eggs they want. Then it is up to them to make arrangement with the seller. Since I'm the treasurer, they could send money to me and I'll let the provider know when they can give/send the eggs. We could probably do a couple of rounds of this.

Some very good ideas have come up here, I'd like to put my support behind:
Camp fire
Secret Santa
Activities/discussions session: Sometimes on the BYC board, we have differing opinions. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear more about a topic. (FF, homemade automatic doors, routine deworming, vaccinating, goats, accupunture, city code changes, economy of raising and processing meat birds, deomonstrations of bumblefoot treatment, chicken inspection, etc.)
T-Shirts: Yes, please!!
Food committee/paying for food=Catering. I would pay a fee for a catered meal. I'd also be open to a simple meal like baked beans, potato chips and hot dogs, etc. Things that could be cooked over a campfire.

It seems unnecessary to ban responsible alcohol consumption. Its' presence does not preclude a family friendly event. We can request discretion, if that would be of value.

Back
Top Bottom