INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

If that's what you have, I would go with it, it will just take a warmer spell before the birds can go back out. Sudden temp changes are so hard on them. I really love my bantams, especially my lil games. They just seem to have a lot more trouble tolerating cold.

If that's what you have, I would go with it, it will just take a warmer spell before the birds can go back out. Sudden temp changes are so hard on them. I really love my bantams, especially my lil games. They just seem to have a lot more trouble tolerating cold.
Thanks for your help tonight. I don't know why they get this random sneezing eye thing. Normal except for that and only 2 of them. Lily my one who got it a lot when your girl would too, hasn't had it at all this time. Just dolly my blind girl and one of my babies from may. I think I'm going to order oxine and denegard. Im done playing with this respiratory crap.

Welp. I've got my first heated dog water bowl. So far it's just sitting there full of water, but I've seen some things that have the wheels turning. Improvements may be imminent.

Quote: What size is the tank in your basement? I am thinking something like that.
Which tank are you referring to? I have various fish tanks down there from 10g to 125g. I also have the big stock tank that is 300g that I have been using lately to brood chicks. I think my plan next year if I get Tilapia is to keep them in the larger fish tanks while they are small. While I'm doing this, I'll brood chicks in the stock tank. Then later in the summer after the chicks go outside, I'll move the larger Tilapia to the stock tank for growout until fall.

Forgive me if this in not the place to post this, it is my first day on the forum! I am in Hobart and in a hurry to rehome a 6 month old Silkie roo. Also, I am looking for at least one (preferrably 2 or 3) pullet to replace him. Anyone know any Silkie breeders on North West Indiana? If not Silkies, any other Bantam breeds? I need to get my Roos out of here and since my flock is tiny, I am concerned about my remaining birds not having anyone to cuddle with this winter. Any help is greatly appreciated! If this isn't the best spot to post this I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

What is calf manna? and why do you add it to the chicken's feed. We are getting feed from the feed mill. We have it ground for us. We also supplement with bags from TSC when we run out.
Its a food suppliment as @Leahs Mom had posted. I tried it this year since so many of my adults were molting and it really sped up the process. One of my BAs was nearly featherless, looked miserable.

Welp. I've got my first heated dog water bowl. So far it's just sitting there full of water, but I've seen some things that have the wheels turning. Improvements may be imminent.
Quote:
I prefer to not use soy either, but it has really helped the birds through molt this year. Using it for the piglets and its really improved their weight and growth. I wish there was a similar product without the soy base.
Quote: What size is the tank in your basement? I am thinking something like that.
Which tank are you referring to? I have various fish tanks down there from 10g to 125g. I also have the big stock tank that is 300g that I have been using lately to brood chicks. I think my plan next year if I get Tilapia is to keep them in the larger fish tanks while they are small. While I'm doing this, I'll brood chicks in the stock tank. Then later in the summer after the chicks go outside, I'll move the larger Tilapia to the stock tank for growout until fall.
Yes, the stock tank. That's my thought too, it would be dual purpose. How many would it comfortably hold? I have a few larger filters, two 55 gal tanks and one 75gal. Tons of tank stuff, going to inventory what's here and figure out what is the best to raise. Its like chickens, so many different types, hybrids lol, pretty interesting.

So has anyone figured out an easy way to take water out to the chickens during winter? I'm really missing my hoses and auto waterer already lol. It takes right at 10 gals of water to fill all th waterers. I'm thinking of just getting the lids for the 5 gal buckets that have a pouring "hole" on the top that can be capped. This way I can completely seal them after filling and then put them on either a wagon or sled depending if there is snow. Then take something like a kerosine siphon to fill the waterers.

Any other suggestions? I really need a plumbed pole barn to keep the chickens in lol.

Back
Top Bottom